Current-Gen GPS Units - What to Buy?

Hello,

I've been browsing these forums some time now, and I thought I would say - hello from Kentucky.

As previously stated I have been browsing these forums, other forums, and various wiki... Like most that post in this forum, I am looking to purchase my first GPS unit that will be used strictly for Geocaching. I have previously owned and sold a Garmin etrex unit - I am not certain the specific model. At any rate, I am searching for a current-gen or next-gen product to dive deeper into this obsession.

I am specifically leaning toward the Garmin Oregon 450 and the upcoming Delorme PN-60. I know that there is probably no one that can give me first hand opinions regarding the PN-60, but here I am regardless. I guess it boils down to,whether or not the upcoming PN-60 looks more compelling than the Orgeon 450? This until will strictly be used for Geocaching and the like - so key features that aid in geocaching are a must (paperless, electronic compass, etc).

I am also interested in any other models that I may have not mentioned, but I would like something that is relatively new technology. I understand one of the key downsides to purchasing the PN-60 is that I will have to wait until at least June 2010 to get one.

Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Edited by alteredform

Any would be good for geocaching. I think the Lowrance Endura line should also be considered. It still has some bugs but once they are worked out you have some outstanding geocaching features in the Enduras including the ability to filter by terrain, difficulty, size and type on the unit and 4,000 geocache limit.

I can't comment on the PN60 but the PN40 is a good pure geocaching unit. It's my primary geocaching unit (I use my 60CSX for everything else).

And everybody I know who has an Oregon loves it. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Edited by briansnat

For a pure Geocaching GPSr the PN-40 is a great machine & is probably the best bang-for-the-buck. Just be sure to get some GOOD rechargable batteries with it, as it tends to chew through batteries quite quickly.

Does the PN-60 have some specific feature that is drawing you to it instead? (instead the PN-40, which is available now?)

Any would be good for geocaching. I think the Lowrance Endura line should also be considered. It still has some bugs but once they are worked out you have some outstanding geocaching features in the Enduras including the ability to filter by terrain, difficulty, size and type on the unit and 4,000 geocache limit.

I can't comment on the PN60 but the PN40 is a good pure geocaching unit. It's my primary geocaching unit (I use my 60CSX for everything else).

And everybody I know who has an Oregon loves it. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

I hadn't considered any of the Lowrance products - Which Endura models were you specifically referring to? What bugs are still in the process of being worked out? They don't seem to be discussed as often as the staple Garmin units and the Delorme PN-40.

Am I being shortsighted about looking for a "geocaching only" unit? I really don't want to pigeon hole myself.

I also failed to mention in my first post that I am not setting a budget. Thank you to those that have replied.

Edited by alteredform

For a pure Geocaching GPSr the PN-40 is a great machine & is probably the best bang-for-the-buck. Just be sure to get some GOOD rechargable batteries with it, as it tends to chew through batteries quite quickly.

Does the PN-60 have some specific feature that is drawing you to it instead? (instead the PN-40, which is available now?)

Some of the key things that interest me about the PN-60are:

It will be the "new gps" on the scene (ie perceived new or newer technology).

With that said, hopefully they will better integrate the new device with geocahching.com website for a more seamless user experience.

The new graphical interface is very nice (and it will probably be easier to read than the Oregon's screen).

Increased battery life (hopefully).

I really doubt I would use the integration with SPOT, but it is intriguing.

I hadn't considered any of the Lowrance products - Which Endura models were you specifically referring to? What bugs are still in the process of being worked out? They don't seem to be discussed as often as the staple Garmin units and the Delorme PN-40.

The chief bug right now is with manually entered waypoints. It stops navigating to them when you "reach" the destination which appears to be within 30 or 40 feet. Not good if you are testing your cache coordinates or searching for multis. I understand that this is to be addressed in an upcoming release.

Am I being shortsighted about looking for a "geocaching only" unit? I really don't want to pigeon hole myself.

Depends. If you are only going to use it for geocaching, then no. If you are going to use it for other things like boating, automotive navigation, hunting, hiking, offroading, mountain biking, etc. Then perhaps.

Depends. If you are only going to use it for geocaching, then no. If you are going to use it for other things like boating, automotive navigation, hunting, hiking, offroading, mountain biking, etc. Then perhaps.

The unit would not be used for automotive travel. I much prefer my stock unit in my vehicle (or) a "dedicated" unit... hiking, offroading, and boating are the only other potentials. I live on a large lake. I don't spend a lot of time on the water, but I would probably have gone through 2 or 3 gps units by the time I found myself regularly on the water.

I guess the real question is... Considering I currently do not own a GPS unit, should I purchase the Garmin Oregon 450 (now) or (wait for) the Delorme PN-60 because it will trump the Oregon 450 in its feature set.

Folks that have the PN 40 seem to like it very much. Same for Oregon users. Unless there is something seriously wrong we tend to like what we buy. :rolleyes: I have an Oregon 300 which I like very much (with the exception of the dim screen and the compass). I love the touch screen and ease of use. It's extremely geocache friendly and appears to be accurate. The 450 supposedly has addressed the dim screen and the compass. I've never used (or been with anyone that owns the PN-40) but it appears to be a good unit. The PN 40 comes with excellent maps. However, if you go with the 450 you don't have to invest the big bucks in the Garmin topo maps since there excellent free ones available. Seems to me the number one issuse between the PN 40 and the Oregon 450 is touch screen vs non touch screen.

OldA'sFan

It's really hard to give good advice as to what you'd like best, because everyone is different. I think you'd be pretty happy with any of the choices you're looking at. Of my more modern units, the first one I got was the PN-40. I have sort of a love hate relationship with it, but as a geocaching machine, it's actually quite good. I then got a Dakota 20, which I prefer so far for handheld use. Neither one fits my needs very well for riding around in my ATV though, so now I just purchased a Nuvi 500 to use on it, since the other nuvis and streetpilots I have aren't waterproof or suitable for that. It's a nice unit, but I would rather have a nuvi 500 case with a Oregon or Dakota functionality when off road especially when it comes to tracks, while maintaining the Nuvi street capabilty. Maybe in a few more years.....

Everyone's advice here is solid. You'll likely love whatever you buy.

However - I might suggest getting at least a little 'hands on' time with the units you are considering.

Not sure what part of Ky you are in. Unfortunately there's not an REI in Kentucky, but there is one in Nashville (South side of town, in Brentwood).

If you are near Lexington, try Dicks over on Man-O-War, and of course the electronics places.

I visited a Dicks to get my hands on a few units, and while the staff weren't very helpful, it did help me make up my mind by seeing the units in operation.

I'm sure there are other retailers that might have some units on hand to see in person.

However - I might suggest getting at least a little 'hands on' time with the units you are considering.

Not sure what part of Ky you are in. Unfortunately there's not an REI in Kentucky, but there is one in Nashville (South side of town, in Brentwood).

If you are near Lexington, try Dicks over on Man-O-War, and of course the electronics places.

I visited a Dicks to get my hands on a few units, and while the staff weren't very helpful, it did help me make up my mind by seeing the units in operation.

I'm sure there are other retailers that might have some units on hand to see in person.

Thank you. I understand that most things in life have trade-offs; however, I was hoping there might be a consensus amongst geocachers at certain price points.

Unfortunately I do not live near Lexington or Nashville, but I will have to make the trek to Dicks in the next couple of weeks to get this squared away. Hopefully they will have a few models to check out and my decision might be made easier.

Thank you. I understand that most things in life have trade-offs; however, I was hoping there might be a consensus amongst geocachers at certain price points.

Unfortunately I do not live near Lexington or Nashville, but I will have to make the trek to Dicks in the next couple of weeks to get this squared away. Hopefully they will have a few models to check out and my decision might be made easier.

I live nowhere near Lex or Nashville either, but like you felt the need to make a trip. I actually hit a Dicks in Louisville while out shopping (had to 'rush the growler' while out shopping and Dick's was right around the corner at Springhurst in Louisville).

You might call ahead to see what models they stock if you are making a special trip. I got lucky - I was considering the Oregon and the 60CSx and they had both on hand. I would imagine you'll find the Dakota and Oregons in stock these days, but you can never be sure with the typical 'super' store like Dicks.

For what it is worth - I ended up with the Oregon 400t (ordered from an online retailer that unfortunately is now out of business). I love it. Many complain about the screen and the 2 axis compass, but I've found the screen adequate for my use (in car, on the trail in the sun or under overcast flat light conditions, and the compass is usable for me as well). I wouldn't change a thing. If money were no object I would be considering an upgrade for the better screen and 3 axis on the newer units but would probably stick with the Oregon for the larger screen.

Good luck

I live nowhere near Lex or Nashville either, but like you felt the need to make a trip. I actually hit a Dicks in Louisville while out shopping (had to 'rush the growler' while out shopping and Dick's was right around the corner at Springhurst in Louisville).

You might call ahead to see what models they stock if you are making a special trip. I got lucky - I was considering the Oregon and the 60CSx and they had both on hand. I would imagine you'll find the Dakota and Oregons in stock these days, but you can never be sure with the typical 'super' store like Dicks.

For what it is worth - I ended up with the Oregon 400t (ordered from an online retailer that unfortunately is now out of business). I love it. Many complain about the screen and the 2 axis compass, but I've found the screen adequate for my use (in car, on the trail in the sun or under overcast flat light conditions, and the compass is usable for me as well). I wouldn't change a thing. If money were no object I would be considering an upgrade for the better screen and 3 axis on the newer units but would probably stick with the Oregon for the larger screen.

Good luck

Thanks. I live around the Lake Cumberland area.