Garmin - eTrex Legend Hcx / eTrexVista Hcx ?

Aradhel

I´m caching for some while, but I´m really getting bored of paper work...

I have a bit restricted budged so my research ended with those above mentioned Garmin - eTrex Legend Hcx / eTrexVista Hcx and now I´m just wondering what are your experiences and if it is worthy to pay the difference between them.

Please help before I will get rid of the safed money :anicute:

Aradhel B)

They're basically the same units except the Vista has a built in electronic compass and barometric altimeter. If you're asking if those features are worth the extra $'s you'll get mixed opinions on that..

Personally I could care less for the barometric altimeter, but LOVE the electronic compass, and wouldn't buy another GPSr without one.

From this quote, are you looking for a paerless GPSr? The Legend and Vista are not paperless. The Dakotas, Oregons, and Colorados are.

I have 2 Legend HCX's that my daughters use and they love them. You will need either a smart phone or a PDA to use these as paperless though.

Good luck

eTrex Vista HCx ALL THE WAY! Years ago, I made the mistake of buying a Legend, after my first Vista unit... well... disappeared. The Legend went back only 8 HOURS after getting it. It got returned and upgraded with a Vista. Since then, it's been upgraded to the Vista HCx.

AWESOME!!!

From this quote, are you looking for a paerless GPSr? The Legend and Vista are not paperless. The Dakotas, Oregons, and Colorados are.

I have 2 Legend HCX's that my daughters use and they love them. You will need either a smart phone or a PDA to use these as paperless though.

Good luck

You are right with the paper thing, but at least I wouldn´t be anymore taking photos of google maps :D

But thank to your small note I found out quite good price (nearly comparable to my first choices) for Colorado in online shop and maybe my path will end there... I´m gonna have Christmas in spring :)

Edited by Aradhel

If you were a premium member, GSAK and it's 60CSxPOI macro add near-paperless functionality. So much so that I haven't touched my PDA in over a year.

I´m gonna be in some while... It will come with gps I think :D I was used to be PM in my former team so it is crazy now to don´t have it :D

so Thank you for idea :)

Edited by Aradhel

I have a bit restricted budged so my research ended with those above mentioned Garmin - eTrex Legend Hcx / eTrexVista Hcx and now I´m just wondering what are your experiences and if it is worthy to pay the difference between them.

Please help before I will get rid of the safed money :)

Aradhel :D

I don't think you can go wrong with either unit. As others have suggested, it really depends on whether you want the electronic compass. Also, if you are concerned about cost and don't need the additional memory for storing maps, you also might consider the Venture HC and Summit HC, essentially the same units as he Legend and Vista, except they have a fixed 24mb internal memory and do not accept the memory card.