Change the default map?

BalooUriza

Hi,

I was wondering what people would think if instead of using proprietary Google Maps, Geocaching used OpenStreetMap instead. This would provide greater detail in places that have a lot of volunteers on OSM (most of the civilized world, plus disaster-prone regions with ongoing relief efforts), and allow Geocachers put their tracks to productive use improving the existing map.

Thoughts?

Hi,

I was wondering what people would think if instead of using proprietary Google Maps, Geocaching used OpenStreetMap instead. This would provide greater detail in places that have a lot of volunteers on OSM (most of the civilized world, plus disaster-prone regions with ongoing relief efforts), and allow Geocachers put their tracks to productive use improving the existing map.

Thoughts?

No thanks. I'd have no problem with it being added as another of the many map links on a page. But Google is much more versatile.

Hi,

Thoughts?

This idea has already been discussed here.

If you use the Firefox browser, there's a GreaseMonkey script that adds OSM to the list of maps available on a cache page.

--Larry

I have enough problems with the horrible errors on Google Maps, without going to one that you indicate is even worse! No thanks.