Future alternatives to Garmin

teamplayer

I've had a Garmin eTrex Vista for 6 years and for the past couple of years I've wanted to upgrade to something with more memory, autorouting, and more durable electrical contacts. I have to squeeze the unit regularly to make buttons work or restore the screen. My first unit went back to the factory for a defect out of the box. I've read this forum regularly and my impression is that Garmin is making hardly any net improvement. As they change hardware and software, there is a lot of variation and regression in quality, accuracy, screen readability, bugs, fatal errors, etc. As a software engineer, I'm afraid this is a tragedy (or as Marx said, the second time around it's a farce). After six years, they should be a lot sharper at developing these units. I'm not willing to compromise so much with a $400-$500 investment. What alternatives are around, or on the horizon, for a new small long-lasting battery-powered GPSr for hiking/biking/driving that's truly worth hundreds of $ more than the old Vista?

From my point of view here in germany, i prefer the UK-made "Satmap Active 10" for hiking and biking. I own many other brands and models but my Satmap has an outstanding list of features and it work like it should.

But this toy is not available to the USA, cause there arent any maps covering Amerika.

And the Satmap cant do autorouting, so this is not a recommed choice for you so far.

I tried a Lowrance Endura Safari, but this thing is still not finish and more in a kind of public beta testing. I really cant say much about the Endura and if its the best choice for a couple of years from now on. Today its not.

Magellan comes with a new unit, presenting it in a few weeks (end of March).

They will not make the same horrible failures like they did with the Triton-desaster, so it might be a good deal. But you have to wait till summer and on some first reviews to go sure with that.

Again, from my far away point of view, DeLorme look like a good company selling good products and especially for good customer service.

In May, they start selling the new PN-60, in design a follower to the PN-40, wich is going to be discontinued.

Outdoor and Streetmaps for the U.S. are included, so i would look out for this one, if it should not be a Garmin again.

For a Garmin, there is the Oregon 450/550.

Only if a unit with a touchscreen would be solid enough to survive six years of usage, i dont know for sure. Or choose a older model, like the GPSmap 60 CSX or GPSmap 76 CSX.

Actually - the newer units are all MUCH better than the old eTrex line. They all have a much improved high sensitivity chip design that holds the signals under tree cover and other tough conditions much better. They also offer expandable memory for mapping, fully paperless Geocaching features, larger more hi resolution screens, touch screen interfaces, better battery life, stadaradized connectors and more.

I'll have to agree that each of the new units goes through s rough period with software and firmware but once those issues are ironed out - I much believe the harware is far superior. Just don't buy it when they first come out.

Some alternatives to Garmin include The Delorme PN series - some people LOVE these to death , others feel so-so about them. The Lowrance Endura series got off to a horrible start but recent software upgrades have turned it into a fine unit.

In May, they start selling the new PN-60, in design a follower to the PN-40, wich is going to be discontinued.

Please share your source on this portion of your statement.

Norm

I might be wrong on this, but why should they build more PN-40´s when they sell the PN-60?

There is no room left for the 40 and i dont say DeLorme will stop supporting the 40 - they only stop building new ones.

For anyone living in Western Europe the Satmap Active 10 is worth a look.

I've recently bought one after previously using Garmin models - 60cs, Colorado and Oregon.

It's a fantastic piece of kit albeit it does not have all the bells and whistles of the Garmin units mainly auto routing. But to be honest the autorouting on the Garmin handheld GPS's are not exactly state of the art anyway with only muted bleeps to guide you into turns.

But the large, bright screen and access to European mapping e.g UK Ordnance survey 1:50,000 and 1:25,000 French IGN 1:25,000 etc. are all huge benefits, It's a bit pricy and the mapping isn't cheap but it's a quality unit. Worth a look :blink:

DeLorme just came out with the PN-30 a few months ago; they will continue selling the PN-30 and the PN-40 for the foreseeable future. Having a variety of features and prices expands their market.

Teamplayer, I'm in agreement with Starbrand on this. It has seemed to me that as GPS devices have become more sophisticated, they have had more problems early in the release cycle, but these problems appear for the most part to get ironed out as time goes by. As long as you stick with a reasonably matured product, I think you'll be quite pleased.

I am one very fond of the DeLorme line, but Garmin still seems to do better on the autorouting feature. Although I've not used any of the Oregons myself, I think they might be your best bet at this point in time. But I would also take a look at the DeLorme and Lowrance offerings (shopping is half the fun).

With a budget of $400-500, I'd also give serious consideration to buying both a low-end autorouting-specific GPS (I've seen new Garmin Nuvis well below $150) and a handheld for other uses. No handheld offers the voice prompts that are so useful for driving.

Also remember that in forums like these, you will predominantly see discussions of problems, because this is a great place to do problem-solving. Fewer people post how great everything is going for them, even though there are likely many more users having no problems. Problems get over-represented in our communications, and we tend to over-estimate their prevalence.

...With a budget of $400-500, I'd also give serious consideration to buying both a low-end autorouting-specific GPS (I've seen new Garmin Nuvis well below $150) and a handheld for other uses. No handheld offers the voice prompts that are so useful for driving....

The Lowrance Endura Sierra and Safari with the autorouting add on will give voice prompts!!

I've had no complaints about the garmin units I've used and owned (can't say the same for Magellan). However, I'm glad to see DeLorme and Lowrance coming on strong in the market. The competition helps keep prices low(er) and drives the companies to keep producing better products.

...With a budget of $400-500, I'd also give serious consideration to buying both a low-end autorouting-specific GPS (I've seen new Garmin Nuvis well below $150) and a handheld for other uses. No handheld offers the voice prompts that are so useful for driving....

The Lowrance Endura Sierra and Safari with the autorouting add on will give voice prompts!!

I [gladly] stand corrected! How does the routing quality stand up to the Garmin handhelds? Voice prompts would seem to make these Enduras the GPS of choice for those who want a single GPS that does a lot of road routing.

They will not make the same horrible failures like they did with the Triton-desaster, so it might be a good deal. But you have to wait till summer and on some first reviews to go sure with that.

What were the Triton disasters you're referring to?

I [gladly] stand corrected! How does the routing quality stand up to the Garmin handhelds? Voice prompts would seem to make these Enduras the GPS of choice for those who want a single GPS that does a lot of road routing.

The Lowrance Endura GPS series is a great investment with a terrific feature set now that is definitely better than a good many of the other GPS's readily available from other mfg's. The Endura's have very few weakness's and the most obvious have been targeted for improvement. Mapping (optional, add-on Accuterra topo cards or the Mapselect $1/quad topo, BLM, aerial imagery) has been one of their strongest features. With the addition of their additional (optional) Turn by Turn card chip their auto-routing capabilities truly rock.

The "Turn by Turn" road navigation card is fantastic with near instantaneous recalculations and AUDIBLE instructions. This by itself puts this GPS Series (specifically the Safari and Sierra; the Out and Back can't use this chip) in a class by itself as one of the first real "crossover" handheld units capable of effective recreational use and automobile autonav use. With this card you no longer need to consider having to compromise with a unit that beeps proximity alarms as you approach your destination or, having to deal with the additional purchase of a dedicated vehicle GPS.

I have many of the "other" Gps's available and haven't found one that now holds a candle to the Endura series in my opinion in virtually all areas.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to make your selection a little easier.

Be safe.

N

They will not make the same horrible failures like they did with the Triton-desaster, so it might be a good deal.

What were the Triton disasters you're referring to?

The unit crashed alot and was near unusable for the first months they came out.

The Triton 200-500 (the smaller without touchscreen) have a defective beeper wich you cant hear exept you press your ear onto it. (referring to a technician, its a design failure and cant be fixed by a software update)

Up- and download can only be done by using a windows software called "vantage point" wich crashes a lot, especially when you upload geocaches. This issue can be fixed by using a tool called "GSAK" and convert a Groundspeak pocket query into a triton-friendly form.

Today the Triton is a much better unit then it was just two software releases before, last year.

The last and final embarressment is the "Trips" Section in the main menu screen on every Triton model.

Since 2007 it is drawn in grey color, leaving space for a future function to join audio, pictures and waypoints to a complete trip description.

Since 2007 the f.a.q.-page on magellangps.com replies this will be added in a future software release.

A few weeks ago on the magellan outdoor page on facebook was a new post asking for a future update for the Tritons and answer was, there is no new update planned and we should look aout for the great news magellan is showing this year.

So the blank section in the Triton menu is there for all times.

The Triton is a great toy, but for geocaching you can find much better ones.

Try to understand people who payed $600 for a Triton 2000 in 2008 and now there is a buy out at ebay for refurbished (magellan stock) Triton 2000 for $150 each.

But for the new eXplorist-line (there comes a bigger one later this year) a new company owner (Mitac bought Magellan and keepd the brand name) and a different developing team (i think the triton guys got fired) is in charge.

Its hard to recommend a new Magellan GPS after using a Triton for a while.