60CSX Question

That's interesting - Garmin told me they didn't take SDHC cards.

That must have been before the software version 3.9 since then the unit supports maps which are greater than 2GB. An SD Card with more than 2GB are High Capacity, hence the abbreviation SDHC.

SDHC worked before this software update, but the space couldn't be used for a large map-file.

GermanSailor

No, it was after 3.9 came out. I'm currently using a 2GB card, although it's a little slow to load sometimes.

I was hoping they could fiddle the firmware to allow waypoints to be stored on the card - with a 4GB card I figured that would give me about 1.5GB for maps and enough for potentially 2-3000 waypoints. That would mean I could load the waypoints for all the caches I'm likely to get to from home whichever direction I head out.

It doesn't matter how big a card you put in, you are still restricted to just over 2,000 map segments, at least if using Mapsource.

If you save directly to a GPS you are. If you put the SD card in a reader connected to the PC you can copy a lot more to it - I managed to copy the map segments for the entire US Topo maps onto a single card. The trouble is the GPX only read it some of the time and other times just gave me a blank map with a blue circle that suggested an inaccuracy of something like 250 miles.

Thanks for the answers, I've now ordered an 8GB card so let's hope it works!

Just interested to know what you're putting on it to consider a card of this size?

Although I don't need 8GB I wanted to put on the UK (as usual) plus I'm off on holiday so I'm adding another country. Too big for 1GB so I went for a bigger card so I can use it for other things later on.