Where to get ammo boxes?

We are lucky in my area as we have Quantico MCB close by. Plus we have one cacher that gets tons of ammo cans in all sizes from quantico MCB and he has them in a pile next to a cache on his property. We are allowed and encouraged to take them as we need them.

surplus stores are going to be your best bet.

Well, looks like Gander Mountain is out of the running. I stopped by today and they didn't have any. I asked the clerk and he said that they had stopped carrying them in all of their stores. He was very kind and handed me a Kleenex as he said, "There, there, now..."

For those in the midwest, Mills Fleet Farm has 50 cal boxes for $7.99.

I need to find a cheaper source in California. The local Army Surplus is pricing them at $12 on up and that's just a bit too rich for my blood.

When I go to a remote location I want to leave an Ammo Box because I know it will survive the elements for years. Came across some plastic containers which became brittle and fell apart in the past couple years. Plastic is OK for close to home, where I can just whistle out the door and replace it in a couple hours at most, but UV exposure is the death of plastics.

I need to find a cheaper source in California. The local Army Surplus is pricing them at $12 on up and that's just a bit too rich for my blood.

When I go to a remote location I want to leave an Ammo Box because I know it will survive the elements for years. Came across some plastic containers which became brittle and fell apart in the past couple years. Plastic is OK for close to home, where I can just whistle out the door and replace it in a couple hours at most, but UV exposure is the death of plastics.

$12? Highway robbery!! A few guys from our local geocaching forums were recently bidding on a couple of pallet loads that were being auctioned off, but they balked when the price rose to $3 apiece (granted, these were large lots, and would tie up the money for some time).

Have you tried painting them? I paint my L'n'L's with Krylon camo paint. That should help the UV factor.