Endura question

Indotguy

I've just received my new Out & Back. It's pretty neat and I'm anxious to get it outdoors. The only question I have so far is where is the date? Am I overlooking a data field somewhere? I have always relied on my GPS to display the date when logging caches in the field. This is worrisome and could be a somewhat serious issue with me.

I've just received my new Out & Back. It's pretty neat and I'm anxious to get it outdoors. The only question I have so far is where is the date? Am I overlooking a data field somewhere? I have always relied on my GPS to display the date when logging caches in the field. This is worrisome and could be a somewhat serious issue with me.

A gps will get its date from connecting to the satelites in the sky... have you turned it on outside, yet, and got a fix?

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

A gps will get its date from connecting to the satelites in the sky... have you turned it on outside, yet, and got a fix?

I'm aware of that and yes I've had a sat fix. No date display on any page and no date data field that I can find.

When you do a fieldnote for a cache - it logs the date/time.

I don't have mine with me but I could swear it shows that data somewhere.......

Did you upgrade it to the 1.21 yet?

My unit came already upgraded to 1.21. Possibly the date is displayed when a cache is logged but there is not a data field for the Date like there is on the H20C.

Congrats on the new toy Indy!

Not to worry Indy, despite the fact that you don't see a (date) field for it, you do get date stamped field logs for your cache activity. There's an option now where you can upload your field logs directly to the geocaching site with the Endura which really makes it easy (just like with the Delorme and Garmin Colorado and Oregon GPSr's).

Give a holler if you need more help.

Be safe.

N

Edited by Native20559

Thanks for the help but I'm still going to miss having a date field. I'm sure the paperless caching will be great and I look forward to logging some caches with it. I like the unit. It's got a solid feel and the touch screen is nice. On the other hand, other than the better contour interval of the microSD topo mapping, the Mapcreate topo on my H20C is still a better map in my opinion. Mapcreate maps will keep all county roads in view at all zoom levels. This is a real plus when one needs to follow county roads for five or ten miles to a cache.

Thanks for the help but I'm still going to miss having a date field. I'm sure the paperless caching will be great and I look forward to logging some caches with it. I like the unit. It's got a solid feel and the touch screen is nice. On the other hand, other than the better contour interval of the microSD topo mapping, the Mapcreate topo on my H20C is still a better map in my opinion. Mapcreate maps will keep all county roads in view at all zoom levels. This is a real plus when one needs to follow county roads for five or ten miles to a cache.

Indotguy,

I really hate to admit it but it looks like we overlooked a date field. I have submitted a request that we add one, any suggestions on where you would like to see it placed?

Regarding your comments on road layers, have you tried to set the mapping detail setting to high and see if that provides better detail?

I've just received my new Out & Back. It's pretty neat and I'm anxious to get it outdoors.

I'm aware of that and yes I've had a sat fix. No date display on any page and no date data field that I can find.

Well your initial post said you "were anxious to get it outdoors" so it was not obvious that you'd had a fix already. I figured from your stats that you probably knew, but still, you did ask the question.

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

I really hate to admit it but it looks like we overlooked a date field. I have submitted a request that we add one, any suggestions on where you would like to see it placed?

Seems the most logical place for a date/time display is the sat page. Would also make a nice option to display it on the map page.

Seems the most logical place for a date/time display is the sat page. Would also make a nice option to display it on the map page.

The only place I really felt the need for it was the time/date stamp on the geocache logs. But since you asked, I'd like to see it as a fixed data field on the sat page and as discretionary data fields for the computer page (especially with the new 6 field format that will be added), and the page data fields. That should cover the bases!

N

Indotguy,

Regarding your comments on road layers, have you tried to set the mapping detail setting to high and see if that provides better detail?

I'm not too concerned where a date would be displayed. The navigation page would be good since I presume most users probably use it. A date data field would be ever better since it would allow the date to be displayed on the page best suited to the individual user.

With map detail set on high county roads are lost at the 1/2 mile+ zoom level.