Garmin POILoader Problem

n2stitch

Software v 4.00

GPS Firmware v3.00

POILoader v2.5.4

Windows XP Media Center edition

Using microSD card

I have created several custom poi files using the instructions in the thread on this BB, Silly Garmin POI tricks (http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=140808).

When I load them on my card, something weird happens. If I put 20 files on the card, most (around 17) load correctly. Then, seemingly at random, one of the databases loads into the gpsr multiple times, and some of the databases don't load at all. The total number of databases matches the number of files on the card. If I delete the gpi file that is repeated, then it selects another database seemingly at random until there are 19 databases loaded, matching the new number of files on the card.

What the heck am I doing wrong? TIA for any help someone can give me!

Lalita

PS I can't check this thread during the day, so if additional information is needed, I'll reply tonight.

I don't know that I fully understand your setup.

The POILoader will load all gpx and csv files from the folder you direct the Loader to read. If you have a cache listed multiple times among more than one of the gpx/csv files, it will be listed in the GPS that many times.

You can only load one folder at a time. Each time you load a folder of gpx/csv files, it erases the previous set.

You need to provide more details on what you are doing. It sounds like you are making it much more complicated than it needs to be.

Unlike what the last guy said, you can have sub folders if you want sub categories.

Each file is a category.

I want custom icons for each type of POI, such as speed camera, castle, accident blackspots, etc. If I put all the points in one file, they all have the same icon. Therefore, I ran POI loader several times, writing to a folder on my hard drive. After each run, I renamed the resultant poi.gpi file to it's appropriate type, ie speedcamera.gpi, castle.gpi, etc. Then, I copied all the resultant gpi files to the microSD card in my unit (with the gpsr in "mass storage" mode). When I then turn the gpsr on, go to find, hit menu then change database, it lists some of the databases multiple times, while not listing some of the others. If I put the gpsr back into mass storage mode, it shows each database once, including the ones that don't display in the gpsr.

If I have subfolders, can each subcategory have a custom icon?

Lalita

I want custom icons for each type of POI, such as speed camera, castle, accident blackspots, etc. If I put all the points in one file, they all have the same icon. Therefore, I ran POI loader several times, writing to a folder on my hard drive. After each run, I renamed the resultant poi.gpi file to it's appropriate type, ie speedcamera.gpi, castle.gpi, etc. Then, I copied all the resultant gpi files to the microSD card in my unit (with the gpsr in "mass storage" mode). When I then turn the gpsr on, go to find, hit menu then change database, it lists some of the databases multiple times, while not listing some of the others. If I put the gpsr back into mass storage mode, it shows each database once, including the ones that don't display in the gpsr.

Before I switched to my Oregon 550t, this is the basic method I used, with one difference: I had POILoader write each file directly to the 60CSx, after which I renamed the file to something useful (like starbucks.poi ;)). Then I ran POILoader on the second folder of POIs, renamed that file, etc. A bit tedious, but I had just 3 POI files so it didn't take that long.

I remember having the same duplicate-database-entries problem a couple of times when I used this approach. The only way I was able to resolve it was to delete the POI file (the one with the duplicate entries) from the unit and reload it with POILoader. That usually got rid of the duplicate entries.

I never did figure out what caused the duplicate entries. I thought it might have something to do with unplugging the unit from the USB cable too soon after running POILoader, which might have somehow munged the file system on the unit, but that was just wild speculation.

Yes. The icon name, as usual, needs to match the name of the POI file in the subfolder.

--Larry

Yes. The icon name, as usual, needs to match the name of the POI file in the subfolder.

--Larry

It worked, it worked, it worked!!! Thank you all for your help. I was indeed making it harder than it needed to be.