Mac user trying to get started

waumpuscat

I have a 400t and a macbook pro(about 2years old). All I know is that when I need a software program that I do not currently have to hook these two up. Any Mac users out there wiling to take it slow with me and help walk me through what I need to do in order to get back to caching? I have been pretty frustrated with my conversion from PC to Mac but clearly like Mac better. I just need to know what program I need to get going with paperless and take full advantage of my 400t.

I really appreciate your patience and walk through on the steps I need to take to get going.

Thanks

I use an Oregon 400t and a Macbook Pro. Unfortunately, unless you want to load windows on your Mac, there aren't a lot in the way of up to date programs that you can use. You can check out the resources pages and download programs for the Mac that you can try. What I use is BaseCamp, but it's no GSAK. You can download BaseCamp for free from Garmin's website. The newest version of BaseCamp will allow you to use topo maps from gpsfiledepot.com so you won't have to pay for the Garmin maps. Also, you'll need Garmin's communicator. If you use Safari as your browser and have the plugin flip4mac installed, you might have trouble. There have been recent updates to each of them and now they all play well together. I love my Mac too, but I sure would like to see GSAK come out in a Mac version. Come to think of it, there was a recent thread about a program you can load on your Mac and have GSAK work to some degree. I can't remember he name of it though. Maybe someone else can help you with that.

As fegan mentioned, you can still get things to work without special software.

Edited by cycler48

I use an Oregon 400t and a Macbook Pro. Unfortunately, unless you want to load windows on your Mac, there aren't a lot in the way of up to date programs that you can use. You can check out the resources pages and download programs for the Mac that you can try. What I use is BaseCamp, but it's no GSAK. You can download BaseCamp for free from Garmin's website. The newest version of BaseCamp will allow you to use topo maps from gpsfiledepot.com so you won't have to pay for the Garmin maps. Also, you'll need Garmin's communicator. If you use Safari as your browser and have the plugin flip4mac installed, you might have trouble. There have been recent updates to each of them and now they all play well together. I love my Mac too, but I sure would like to see GSAK come out in a Mac version. Come to think of it, there was a recent thread about a program you can load on your Mac and have GSAK work to some degree. I can't remember he name of it though. Maybe someone else can help you with that.

But to get things to work, don't I have to buy and load windows for Mac? Man, I do not want to do that and it seems that if I do not, that there is little that I can do to regain my previous usage of GSAK and pocket quieries.

But to get things to work, don't I have to buy and load windows for Mac? Man, I do not want to do that and it seems that if I do not, that there is little that I can do to regain my previous usage of GSAK and pocket quieries.

No, you don't need to load windows ... I don't have it on mine. The minimal thing you'll need on your Mac is the Garmin communicator plugin. If you don't already have it, you will find it here:

http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/

The plugin will allow communications between your GPSr and your Mac. Any other software is not really necessary, but you might want to look around to see if you find something you're interested in. Personally, I really like BaseCamp.

See #1 in http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=4141115 Ignore #2.

You've been asking variations of this question for nearly a year. You've gotten some pretty bogus answers from people that have clearly never used anything other than Windows. Order up the PQ you want, drag and drop it to the GPS, eject it, and you're done. Be smart about the PQ you order and it takes *no* aftermarket software for a great experience with a CO or OR 400 on a Mac. (Or Linux or any other system that supports USB mass storage devices.) Don't complicate it.

I've been caching with my Mac since I started almost a year ago. To load PQs you don't need any special software. To grab individual caches from the website you'll need the Garmin Communicator plugin that was linked above. Other than that, if you want more advanced manipulation of GPX files, there really is no good Mac equivalent to GSAK.

Hopefully a good team of Mac programmers will take it on. It would also be great if someone would look into developing an Adobe Air app so it would be cross platform. :(

Robert you hit the nail on the head.

I spent several hours downloading and trying all different combinations to get the data into my Dakota 20.

This was ridiculous its a mac its not supposed to be this hard.

In the end it was Ockham's razor.

Simply Unzip the PQ and copy the .GPX files to /Volumes/GARMIN/Garmin/GPX

I am a happy hunter.