Dakota 20 & memory card

I have a Dakota 20 with a 1 gig Memory card, I have sent Geocaches and routes to it via the computer successful to the card. but once disconnected from the computer I can not find them on the map in Geocaches or in routes its like I can not see the memory card.

The unit works perfectly if I use it without the memory card.

Any help gratefully received

Thanks Moorhouse Gang

If the Dakota is the same as the Colorado and Oregon (AFAIK it is)...

Put the GPX files in the d:\Garmin\GPX folder on the card and they will load. If that folder structure doesn't already exist on your card just create it.

I keep all my caches on my SD card in my Colorado...don't ask why unless you really want to know, it's a long story.

Thanks to both of you

Unfortunatly they are being sent to the GPX file on the card?

When I am on Geocache website and send a cache to GPS it gives me two options (the GPS or F drive which is the memory card in my unit) once I choose to send to the F drive I can then see it in the memory card via looking through the computer. once disconected from the computer I can not find the card at all.

Why the hell does Garmin not give a full instruction book on how to use the product that you have spent so much money on? I don't think they sell many if a new customers read this website first!!!!

Moorhouse Gang

When I am on Geocache website and send a cache to GPS it gives me two options (the GPS or F drive which is the memory card in my unit) once I choose to send to the F drive I can then see it in the memory card via looking through the computer. once disconected from the computer I can not find the card at all.

Just because they are getting sent to the card does not mean that the card has the correct path created. Make sure that the garmin/gpx folders exist on the card. You didn't say if they were created, so I just want to make sure they are. Otherwise, just send them to the units memory.

Just because they are getting sent to the card does not mean that the card has the correct path created. Make sure that the garmin/gpx folders exist on the card. You didn't say if they were created, so I just want to make sure they are. Otherwise, just send them to the units memory.

Hi

They are going to the card in a file marked GPX folder they are the same size and the same discription as the ones I send to the GPS. you say the card may not have the correct path? what is this about? sounds like it may be that as i can not see the card at all on the GPS.

I am sending them to the card due to having TOPO maps on and a large number of Geocache when I go away for two weeks holiday. I dont get the option of sending the TOPO's to the card.

Thanks for your help

Moorhouse gang

They are going to the card in a file marked GPX folder they are the same size and the same discription as the ones I send to the GPS. you say the card may not have the correct path? what is this about? sounds like it may be that as i can not see the card at all on the GPS.

Thanks for your help

Moorhouse gang

"what is this about?"

A new card is blank, it has no folders on it...you need to create the necessary folders.

"you say the card may not have the correct path?"

If your SD card does not have a d:\Garmin\GPX folder structure, you must create it. Then move your GPX files into that folder and they should load when you restart your GPS.

You have to put the GPX files in the d:\Garmin\GPX folder. Doesn't matter if they're on the GPS or on the SD card...the GPS sees both like they were combined into a single drive, you can't select between the two, they're both seen by the GPS when it looks for files. If the GPX files are in the wrong folder (e.g. d:\GPX) then the GPS will not see them and will not load them.

Also, GPX files don't take up a lot of space (e.g. I have 2,000 geocaches on mine, some with as many as 20 logs, and they take up about 20MB) so putting them on the GPS shouldn't be an issue.

"what is this about?"

A new card is blank, it has no folders on it...you need to create the necessary folders.

"you say the card may not have the correct path?"

If your SD card does not have a d:\Garmin\GPX folder structure, you must create it. Then move your GPX files into that folder and they should load when you restart your GPS.

You have to put the GPX files in the d:\Garmin\GPX folder. Doesn't matter if they're on the GPS or on the SD card...the GPS sees both like they were combined into a single drive, you can't select between the two, they're both seen by the GPS when it looks for files. If the GPX files are in the wrong folder (e.g. d:\GPX) then the GPS will not see them and will not load them.

Also, GPX files don't take up a lot of space (e.g. I have 2,000 geocaches on mine, some with as many as 20 logs, and they take up about 20MB) so putting them on the GPS shouldn't be an issue.

Could not have said this better myself. Very good explanation.

I am sending them to the card due to having TOPO maps on and a large number of Geocache when I go away for two weeks holiday. I dont get the option of sending the TOPO's to the card.

The units only hold 2000 geocaches. This is only around 25MB. It is nothing as far as memory goes and they can be either on the card or the unit.

You can send any maps as easily to the card as to the unit.