Series cache spacing

Team kizb

Consider loops of no more than 5 miles from parking/access points. Also consider how many caches you are willing/able to maintain. Please refrain from using 35mm film containers. Perhaps have a geocaching friend hide 1 loop and you hide another. By the time you find each others caches, you'll each learn some good hiding techniques. Leave a few areas open so that others can put out their own caches.

All good points. The idea behind the series is for it to be a challenge to others to complete the entire trial. So I was thinking about having Med size containers at each trailhead then small caches between each trailhead. The longest run between trailheads is 16 miles.

Edited by kizb

All good points. The idea behind the series is for it to be a challenge to others to complete the entire trial. So I was thinking about having Med size containers at each trailhead then small caches between each trailhead. The longest run between trailheads is 16 miles.

The best caching trails are the ones that have developed over time, with different cachers placing different types of caches. A hundred traditionals along a trail isn't much of a challenge, except perhaps for the owner.

Edited by narcissa

The best caching trails are the ones that have developed over time, with different cachers placing different types of caches. A hundred traditionals along a trail isn't much of a challenge, except perhaps for the owner.

Very true - cache trails develop on thier own over time as cachers place caches in memorible areas. Not every xxx feet.

I considered making a powertrail along a trail in the woods this summer after I get back to the states, but realized it would be defeating my purpose of going out in the woods- to experience nature. I'd be too busy going from cache to cache.

Is there something interesting every mile? Probably not.

Have you hiked the trail before? Hike it one more time before deciding to place the cache.

Mark on your GPS what you consider your memorable spots. Check out how close/far your spots are from geocaches in the area.

And, yes, leave the area open for others to add caches. Gives you something to look for when you go do maintenance on the caches you add!

Some more info on the trail system your doing this on would give more insight. For instance what kind of trail use does this get (foot travel, equestrian, bike) and how much usage. Where is this trail located and what kind of habitat/terrain is this in. How many trail heads are there?

Finally what is your intention for this long cache series. For example Is it to get more people to realize the recreational value of this trail, A caching challenge, experience the natural wonders on this trail, just think its a cool idea, and etc.

I do agree with the others that significant localities in general would be better than mileage markers. However I've seen some mileage marker caches before that weren't to bad at all. However if it was me, I would place them at least every 5 miles apart not 1 mile or less. 100+ caches is a lot of maintenance.

Also add some diversity in the cache types if you decide to go with a large number of caches multis, letterboxes, and puzzle caches can be just as if not more fun than traditionals.

A thumbs up on not making these caches micros, Small caches in the woods aren't my favorite (unless they are stages to a multi) but I do understand the financial reasons behind it.

Just my 2 cents and suggestions?

Edited by Geoextreme87