Newbie Needs GPS Map Help Please!

malaea

Can someone please help me, I've been online for hours trying to find the information I need to no avail, and the more I look, the more confused I am B)

I got a used GPS unit for Christmas because I really want to get into geocaching and I have questions about the unit that I can't find answers for. It is a Garmin GPSmap76S. I have figured out how to get coordinates for a cache site into it, and we actually were able to successfully find a few caches yesterday, but it seems like the unit could be a little easier to use.

I have figured out how to plot the coordinates for a waypoint and have the system "goto" it with some success, but I'm having to look at/print a map of the cache location online before we go, drive there and then use the GPS. The GPS then has just an arrow and several fine lines, and a bold line that represents the waypoint. We then have to look at the "distance to" the waypoint and it ends up getting us close enough so we can find the cache.

The mapsource info page in the unit says "Port Charles, Florida, Cape Coral, Florida, Bart Dec 2006" and "metroguide USA v5: Deltona, Florida, MetroGuide USA v5.0". I live in California, so this is not very helpful. How do I load California maps into the unit? I realize street maps might not play a part in the actual geocache hunt, but it would be helpful to have them to at least get to the location. And then do I need a different "topo" map loaded to help with the hunt itself? If I figure out how to load a map/maps into it, do I need both, or can I have both?

I have found Garmin map downloads on the Garmin website, but they're over $100. I have also seen reference to free downloads of california topo maps, but you supposedly need other things downloaded too and that makes me nervous (virus/compatibility, etc.).

I'm so sorry for the long post, but I'm so confused, and I have to admit, I'm obviously somewhat technologically challenged! I'm so excited about geocaching, but my GPS is confusing me and although it gets me to the cache sites, it seems like it should be easier.

Thank you so much for the help!

I understand your frustration as I went through a couple of devices till I found one and encountered the same problems - as I am new also to geocaching. Garmin does have a free update and it is safe as I used it myself. You can download coordinates directly to your device with a usb cable from the geocache website. There will be a "send to my gps" tab by the coordinates on the page for the cache. You can also go to garmin's website and they have a geocaching program that will let you download caches that way. Also check to see if there is a pedestrian mode on your device as this helps when you are walking. I hope this helps. Maybe we can help eachother as we get better and better. Don't give up, everyone is very helpful and it's so much fun!!

B)

Amy

I understand your frustration as I went through a couple of devices till I found one and encountered the same problems - as I am new also to geocaching. Garmin does have a free update and it is safe as I used it myself. You can download coordinates directly to your device with a usb cable from the geocache website. There will be a "send to my gps" tab by the coordinates on the page for the cache. You can also go to garmin's website and they have a geocaching program that will let you download caches that way. Also check to see if there is a pedestrian mode on your device as this helps when you are walking. I hope this helps. Maybe we can help eachother as we get better and better. Don't give up, everyone is very helpful and it's so much fun!!

B)

Amy

Amy -

Thank you so much for your reply. I did go to the Garmin site and when I searched for updates for my unit, it said my unit was up-to-date and they had no updates or maps for it?

I can actually load or "send" the coordinates from the cache page directly to my gps with it hooked up to the computer, I found that out and was SOOO happy for that nice perk being already accessible (it was so much work entering all those coordinates manually!).

I can't figure out why I don't see/can't access street maps if I want to use it when I'm driving, and it seems weird that there's only an arrow (representing me) and a bold line pointing toward the cache location when we're searching for our cache. The fact that there is a box that tells us how many miles/feet we are from the cache is the helpful part. I tried experimenting with it yesterday and tried to input a local address to see if it would direct me there. When I tried to key in the street name, it pulled up street names that were already loaded in the unit (I'm guessing Florida street names since it seems to have a Florida map system loaded in it), and since my street name wasn't in there, it wouldn't let me input it. I will try today to just input a street name that's already in the unit and tell it to "go to" it and see what it does. I guess that will show me how it works for addresses, but it won't help me around my city!

We're going to go hunt for a few caches today, I'm so excited! We're so hooked, my kids love it! We're going to introduce my 4 nieces and nephews to it, should be an interesting day with 7 kids and trying to keep the muggles from seeing us:) I'm happy that the gps at least helps us find the location, it just seems like it should be easier! Good luck in your hunting and thank you so much for your repsonse. If you come across anything else that you think might help, please let me know!

The 76s should have a base map, most major roads and cities. It does not have detailed maps. The 76s only has 24Mb internal memory with no sd card slot. What that means is you can not load much in the way of maps on the unit. As far as being up to date, that is referring to the system software, not the maps. It sounds like you have mapsource so you will only need to download the CA topo map. You can then load the portion of the CA maps you want. Most topo maps have the streets, although they do not have the auto route capability.

Jim

I have been happy with my 76cs for about five years now. I downloaded a Washington roads map from one of the free sites. I don't remember which one.

When you are on the hunt I would suggest you use the compass rather than the arrow screen. Just my personal preference.

If you did not get a manual with your unit you should download it from the Garmin site and read it all the way through. We did that when we first got our unit and have really never had any problems with it.

I only use the oads map and have never bothered with a topo. And I certainly never paid the $100 for the Garmin maps.

Good luck!

I downloaded the map I wanted (35 minutes) and it said it would show up in Mapsource but it didn't. Mapsource said the .img file was invalid??? Help??

What map, they have a lot of them. Did you run the installer or try to open the downloaded file with MapSource? You might want to check their forums for help on their maps.

It was a topo map of Indiana. I ran the installer and I can find it on my hard drive but it didnt automatically load into Mapsource and when I go through the FILE - OPEN menu it says the .img is an invalid file type.

I downloaded the map I wanted (35 minutes) and it said it would show up in Mapsource but it didn't. Mapsource said the .img file was invalid??? Help??

What map, they have a lot of them. Did you run the installer or try to open the downloaded file with MapSource? You might want to check their forums for help on their maps.

It was a topo map of Indiana. I ran the installer and I can find it on my hard drive but it didnt automatically load into Mapsource and when I go through the FILE - OPEN menu it says the .img is an invalid file type.

Ok, first off, this map? (there are several TOPOs on that site that cover Indiana):

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/132/

Second, if you ran the installer, what are you trying to open with MapSource? The mapset is install into MapSource and you have to pick it from the View->Switch to Product menu, you don't open an .img file from the File->Open menu.

Ok, first off, this map? (there are several TOPOs on that site that cover Indiana):

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/132/

Second, if you ran the installer, what are you trying to open with MapSource? The mapset is install into MapSource and you have to pick it from the View->Switch to Product menu, you don't open an .img file from the File->Open menu.

Thank you for answering a dumb question. It was there! Happy New Year!

Thank you for answering a dumb question. It was there! Happy New Year!

Happy New Year to you. Glad you got it working. It wasn't a dumb question, you just didn't know how to use MapSource, how are you going to know unless you ask? Good luck with it.

BTW: here is a tutorial on loading maps with MapSource that might save you some grief:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-...armin-gps-unit/

Thank you so much to everyone who has tried to help. Maybe a stupid question, but I got my gps used and although my gps has some florida map source info loaded into it, I don't have the mapsource software on my computer, so it won't allow me to download anything from "gosfiledepot". What is the bare minimum I need to buy (I don't want to spend too much) in order to get this topo map of my area of California from gpsfiledepot? Thanks again for all the help!

Thank you so much to everyone who has tried to help. Maybe a stupid question, but I got my gps used and although my gps has some florida map source info loaded into it, I don't have the mapsource software on my computer, so it won't allow me to download anything from "gosfiledepot". What is the bare minimum I need to buy (I don't want to spend too much) in order to get this topo map of my area of California from gpsfiledepot? Thanks again for all the help!

To get mapsource - howto, it is my favorite price.

Jim

Edited by jholly