do all gps's need computers?

horsec8z

Hiya

Total newbie here. My experience with GPS is limited but years ago I bought a Magellan. I got along with it but was not trying to geocache with it; just backcountry hike without getting completely lost. Recently I bought a garmin nuvi265wt for the car and found out quickly that it needs a computer to 1: download ccoordinates of a cache and 2: to look at the coordinates of something you added to your favorites when out in the field. Have not found all the other reasons why it's not great for handheld geocaching.

OK so I dig out a Garmin Etrex legend that I bought over 2 years ago but never opened... Guess what? It needs a computer to add coordinates.... :rolleyes:

My question is IS there ANY handheld device out there that can stand alone? Can I just hold it in my hand, add a location and go? or do all of them require that you hook up to a computer to look for certain locations? Thanks

Horsec8z

...OK so I dig out a Garmin Etrex legend that I bought over 2 years ago but never opened... Guess what? It needs a computer to add coordinates.... :rolleyes:..

All hand held GPS units can be used as stand alone. A computer makes it easier to put maps on them, or input coordinates.

For your Legend "Mark" your position then edit those coordinates to be what you need. This isn't obvious. It's why I was able to use a computer to get coords on my GPS before I figured out how to do it directly.

Thanks for the help. I don't think my question is clear enough. IF I'm way out in the desert with my garmin nuvi 265wt and I want to go to an exact coordinate how would I inout that with the use of a computer?

Btw I took the Garmin legend out to the field today to try the above suggestions and the brand new batteries gave up after about an hour.... B) The 7 year old Magellan is looking better and better.

Horsec8z

Thanks for the help. I don't think my question is clear enough. IF I'm way out in the desert with my garmin nuvi 265wt and I want to go to an exact coordinate how would I inout that with the use of a computer?

Btw I took the Garmin legend out to the field today to try the above suggestions and the brand new batteries gave up after about an hour.... B) The 7 year old Magellan is looking better and better.

Horsec8z

Make sure the legend is set for the appropriate battery type. You can choose NiMH or alkaline.