Geocache Clubs

mtnwytch

I live in Grand Junction, CO and have been intrigued by geocaching for a while now. My husband just got me my first GPS for Christmas and I don't quite know how to get started. I was wondering if there are clubs or groups or any type of help available. I am tech-capable and will definitely figure this out on my own if necessary, but it would be fun to have some assistance and friends to go finding with for at least a few times. Thanks!

Welcome :lol:

Browsing through the Geocaching Organizations in the West/Southwest section of the Forums, it appears that for all of Colorado there is one Organization:

Geocaching Colorado

Your best bet might be to post something on the local Forums over there and see if anyone is organizing a hike or something. Tagging along with people that have done it before is a pretty quick and painless way to learn.

The other option most people use, is merely to keep an eye out for Events in the area. Colorado has a very active Community, so it wouldn't surprise me if they have Events every weekend if not more frequently.

Good luck!

Welcome :lol:

Browsing through the Geocaching Organizations in the West/Southwest section of the Forums, it appears that for all of Colorado there is one Organization:

Geocaching Colorado

Your best bet might be to post something on the local Forums over there and see if anyone is organizing a hike or something. Tagging along with people that have done it before is a pretty quick and painless way to learn.

The other option most people use, is merely to keep an eye out for Events in the area. Colorado has a very active Community, so it wouldn't surprise me if they have Events every weekend if not more frequently.

Good luck!

Thank you! :D

I live in Grand Junction, CO and have been intrigued by geocaching for a while now. My husband just got me my first GPS for Christmas and I don't quite know how to get started. I was wondering if there are clubs or groups or any type of help available. I am tech-capable and will definitely figure this out on my own if necessary, but it would be fun to have some assistance and friends to go finding with for at least a few times. Thanks!

Hey there! Congrats on the new GPS! Which one did ya get?

We're in Colorado too, just on the other side of the mountains though......I know of a few cachers in your neck of the woods that might be able to help you out too.

Feel free to reply here or e-mail me privately with any questions you have. I'll do what I can to help out!

Edited to add:

There's also the 'Rocky Mountain Geocaching Academy' event coming up on February 13th. Not really in your neck of the woods, but could be a source of good information for you.

Edited by Team Laxson

We're in Colorado too, just on the other side of the mountains though......I know of a few cachers in your neck of the woods that might be able to help you out too.

Feel free to reply here or e-mail me privately with any questions you have. I'll do what I can to help out!

Edited to add:

There's also the 'Rocky Mountain Geocaching Academy' event coming up on February 13th. Not really in your neck of the woods, but could be a source of good information for you.

Edited to add:

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have a Garmin eTres Vista HCx. My very first GPS so I'm wallowing in an unknown world... If you can hook me up with some local (GJ) geocachers, that would be great.

You had recentl picked up a travel bug at the Octopus Garden at the Aquarium in Newport oregon. I never did get a change to post a placement so it will no log the distance from home. Others on the forum said you can go back date do a drop to actually show where it started at the Octopus Garden