Help with GPS 60

This works with 60csx, I guess it is the same with 60.

Push 'Mark' button. This will mark up your current location and bring up the waypoint edit screen.

Highlight coordinates field and press enter.

Edit the coordinates. Use left/right triangle arrows on numbers window to move cursor.

When done, select ok. If you wish, you can also edit waypoint name and other details.

I got a new Garmin GPS 60. I'v spent a couple hours learning the features but cannot figure out how to enter a geocache location I am interested in. Can anyone help?

With the new GPSMap 60CSx modell it's indeed as jkettu said.

If you have the GPS 60, then I assume the procedure is the same as with the new GPSMap 60 CSx, but better check with the manual, which you can find here.

GermanSailor

Only difference between 'geocache' and 'waypoint' is the icon. You can change that too on the waypoint edit page.

I'm a bit confused here - do you already have the cache info downloaded through usb and can't find it through the menus? Or do you wish to manually enter coordinates to the unit?

Only difference between 'geocache' and 'waypoint' is the icon. You can change that too on the waypoint edit page.

I'm a bit confused here - do you already have the cache info downloaded through usb and can't find it through the menus? Or do you wish to manually enter coordinates to the unit?

honestly, I don't know if I can download it through usb. The manual is no help. I did figure out how to enter it manually. I'm really considering returning this unit.

Hello There,

If you become a premium member then there is a facility to download a geocache waypoint (via usb) directly from the page to your Garmin 60.

Otherwise you'll have to input the waymark as jkettu says above

Push 'Mark' button. This will mark up your current location and bring up the waypoint edit screen.

Highlight coordinates field and press enter.

Edit the coordinates. Use left/right triangle arrows on numbers window to move cursor.

When done, select ok. If you wish, you can also edit waypoint name and other details.

You can then select the waypoint from the Find Menu and Goto.

Hopefully that throws a little more light on the subject.

Regards

Bernard

honestly, I don't know if I can download it through usb. The manual is no help. I did figure out how to enter it manually. I'm really considering returning this unit.

Just slow down and take the time to read the owners manual. You can down load the caches via the usb straight from the geocache.com website. Forget about using the Garmin site. The manual is very self explanatory if you'll just take the time to read it. You've got a good GPS.

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/GPS60_OwnersManual.pdf

Don't return the unit. I'm sure it's fine. Maybe you just need to download the Garmin Communicator Plugin and then you can easily transfer the waypoints (Geocaches) from the Geocaching.com site to your GPSr.

Additonally you can use software like EasyGPS to send and receive waypoints, geocaches, tracks and routes. Try this little program - It's worth it!

GermanSailor

It seems this one does not have some important features I would like. Namely, an electronic compass, maps, and the ability to paperless geocache.

You are right, the 60 series from Garmin doesn't support paperless geocaching. You need one of the Oregon or Colorado models. Or you get an additional PDA to do all the "paperwork" there. With the GPS 60 maybe the POI workaround could help. There the description of a geocache is put into several POI, so you have the information, but that's not very convenient.

GermanSailor

It seems this one does not have some important features I would like. Namely, an electronic compass, maps, and the ability to paperless geocache.

You are right, the 60 series from Garmin doesn't support paperless geocaching. You need one of the Oregon or Colorado models. Or you get an additional PDA to do all the "paperwork" there. With the GPS 60 maybe the POI workaround could help. There the description of a geocache is put into several POI, so you have the information, but that's not very convenient.

GermanSailor

Garmin also makes the NUVI 500/550 which have paperless geocaching. I'm really impressed with them. You can use them for in-car gps and for geocaching. Price is very reasonable. I got one and it'll probably become my main geocache unit.

Just slow down and take the time to read the owners manual. You can down load the caches via the usb straight from the geocache.com website. Forget about using the Garmin site. The manual is very self explanatory if you'll just take the time to read it. You've got a good GPS.

I can second that!

I have the GPS60 and it's easy to download via the USB.

Only thing I find a pain is that the title is the GC code, so I usualy change that to the cache title myself.

Don't give up on it, its a good GPS and almost foolproof! ... I should know.... :)

Edited by FantasyRaider

I am a new owner of a Garmin 60cx and learning about GC. I can transfer caches to my garmin via usb, but they show up in way points and not in the geocaching page. What is the geocaching section page of the 60 for if the caches download to the waypoint page? or am i doing anything wrong?

Edited by crockeddonkey

Hi all- first post but similar problem if you mean manually inputting co-ordinates.

Firstly via the geocaching website it should be easy to download the cache coordinates using the garmin communication software mentioned in a previous post. Just check it finds the correct device ie. the garmin product. I had to reboot the first time. Once it says it has written to the device it should be in waypoints and the cache location if you have set this up which it prompts.

To manually enter co-ordinates for a waypoint use the MARK button and then edit the entry including the icon to a cache icon but most importantly when you edit the Location field check that the coordinate units are correct. The geocache website needs to be the same as the unit I use hddd(degree symbol)mm.mmm you can set this via the units options in the main menu. I initially had these set incorrectly and could not leave a carpark clue to finsh the cache. All good fun I love this unit.

Ps its not paperless but I have a small waterproof notepad to help with any info I cannot be bothered to edit on the waypoint page but this is also easy to do in the notes section on any waypoint page.

Hope this helps happy caching.

I am a new owner of a Garmin 60cx and learning about GC. I can transfer caches to my garmin via usb, but they show up in way points and not in the geocaching page. What is the geocaching section page of the 60 for if the caches download to the waypoint page? or am i doing anything wrong?

I have a 60csx so my comments are directed towards it however they may be useful for GPSmap 60 users.

Download the caches straight to the gps using the gpx files on geocache.com. Then once you turn the unit on and your sure it's locked on the satellites press the button that says "FIND", you'll have a number of different options on that page and one of them is geocaches. Scroll over to GEOCACHES and press enter. Your cache info should be there.

Looking for further advice on the GPS60:

My GPS60 has been working fine, but suddenly, I can not upload waypoints any more.

When I interface it to Geocaching.com, and do a direct upload of the waypoint, I get communication, my browser completes the upload, but it does not arrive at the GPS.

I plugged it into MacCaching, and once again, it will complete a waypoint upload, but the points don't show in the GPS60. Finally, I CAN download waypoints from the GPS60 to MacCaching, so I know the interface is working.

Apparently, the waypoints I put into the GPS60 just can't be uploaded any more.

Any advice?

Looking for further advice on the GPS60:

My GPS60 has been working fine, but suddenly, I can not upload waypoints any more.

When I interface it to Geocaching.com, and do a direct upload of the waypoint, I get communication, my browser completes the upload, but it does not arrive at the GPS.

I plugged it into MacCaching, and once again, it will complete a waypoint upload, but the points don't show in the GPS60. Finally, I CAN download waypoints from the GPS60 to MacCaching, so I know the interface is working.

Apparently, the waypoints I put into the GPS60 just can't be uploaded any more.

Any advice?

I solved my own problem: The GPS60 did receive the uploaded waypoints, but it still thought I was at home. Once the GPS located my current location, the geocaches I loaded were in the list on the GPS. GPS60 only displays nearby waypoints and caches.... not all of them.

I solved my own problem: The GPS60 did receive the uploaded waypoints, but it still thought I was at home. Once the GPS located my current location, the geocaches I loaded were in the list on the GPS. GPS60 only displays nearby waypoints and caches.... not all of them.

Your Garmin is set to FIND NEAREST and it will not show caches beyond a certain distance (or perceived distance) as you have already discovered.

However there is another option of FIND BY NAME available from the MENU. In that mode distance is no longer an issue and you will be able to see all loaded caches all the time.