nuvi paperless

grouchymedic

I debated for some time as to what I would use to replace my Palm since it won't work with Win 7 64-bit . I finally sent for and received the Nuvi. Now I can not figure out how to load the caches. I followed the program suggested. I first get an error message that I don't have the right link for the program to load. Then I got some caches in California ( I am in Ohio ) and even at that I just got a CX-- for a cache and no other info. Can someone out there help me through this. ( And don't use win 7 if you can avoid it. My laptop died and I was forced to get another and it has Win 7 with 64-bit.

Totaltechworld which I got off a forum on this site is where the program came from It refers to win vista but it said win 7 would work. guess not.

It is a 255w nuvi

Any help would be great as I'm spending all too much time on this and getting nowhere. Thanks

Win 7 and Vista should be just about identical.

Can you describe what you did, and what didn't work? The most common problem is that POI Loader is not looking in the same directory the GSAK macro is writing to.

Totaltechworld which I got off a forum on this site is where the program came from It refers to win vista but it said win 7 would work. guess not.

It is a 255w nuvi

Any help would be great as I'm spending all too much time on this and getting nowhere. Thanks

Win 7 and Vista should be just about identical.

Can you describe what you did, and what didn't work? The most common problem is that POI Loader is not looking in the same directory the GSAK macro is writing to.

When I get to the box where it asks what foulder the POIloader is in. I type what example shows and that does not work I have tried other files and I just can't get it to go. I bought this strictly to replace my palm. Thanks

Let me go home and look up what folder it stores it under, as well as the files you should find in there. If you have a 64 bit system, I think it is something like c:\program files(x86)\gsak\garminpoi - but since I'm getting this out of my memory, it's probably not entirely accurate. My laptop runs XP.

If you don't hear back from me in a day and you still need the info, drop me an e-mail.

OK, not too bad. I only got one character wrong (there's a space between "files" and "(x86)".

You should see this directory (cmd box copy is easier than a full blown screen cap, so hope you know your command line :rolleyes: ) This is from my Vista machine. Win 7 (on my other partition) looks like it uses the same directory structure.

Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\gsak\garminpoi

12/20/2009  03:26 PM	<DIR>		  .
12/20/2009  03:26 PM	<DIR>		  ..
10/12/2009  02:16 PM			 1,336 Geocache TourGuide.bmp
12/20/2009  03:28 PM		17,719,328 Geocache TourGuide.gpx
12/20/2009  03:26 PM			14,346 Geocache TourGuide.jpg
10/12/2009  02:16 PM			54,237 Geocache TourGuide.mp3
		   4 File(s)	 17,789,247 bytes

Your file size (and date) would be different, of course. But you should see these files there. If you're not sure, delete the Geocache TourGuide.gpx, then run the macro again. It will be recreated.

On Garmin POILoader, one of the screens say "Please select the directory where the data files can be found". Make sure you select that directory. Don't type in what the web page says, because different systems will have it installed in a different location. All it really wants is where those 4 files are located.

Edited by Chrysalides