Oregon 550 Power/USB question

n2stitch

I tried looking in the Oregon FAQ, but it wouldn't load for me.

I got an early Christmas present today, and Oregon 550. I've figured out a lot of stuff on it already, including making a small custom map with Google Earth and downloading it to the Oregon.

What I can't figure out is, if I plug the Oregon into the computer, it automatically switches to Mass Storage Mode. Is there any way to power it from the USB without it switching to Mass Storage Mode? (I don't mean charge the batteries or anything like that, just power it.)

TIA!

Lalita

I tried looking in the Oregon FAQ, but it wouldn't load for me.

I got an early Christmas present today, and Oregon 550. I've figured out a lot of stuff on it already, including making a small custom map with Google Earth and downloading it to the Oregon.

What I can't figure out is, if I plug the Oregon into the computer, it automatically switches to Mass Storage Mode. Is there any way to power it from the USB without it switching to Mass Storage Mode? (I don't mean charge the batteries or anything like that, just power it.)

TIA!

Lalita

From the Oregon Wiki:

"You may find that by default the Oregon will enter mass storage mode unless you have the Setup>System>Interface setting configured to Garmin Spanner. See the next question for more details."

You'll then get a screen when you use the USB cable...allowing you to select Mass Storage or not (just power).

Bill