Garmin Oregon 400t?

Qboards

I just bought an Oregon 400t and plan on using it to find caches. Is it a good device for doing this?

Also does anyone have any suggestions on starting out with my first cache?

Thanks alot!!

Coby

I have one, and love it. Great GC capabilities built in. Use PQs and you're set!

I just bought an Oregon 400t and plan on using it to find caches. Is it a good device for doing this?

Also does anyone have any suggestions on starting out with my first cache?

Thanks alot!!

Coby

I have two Oregon 400t's. You won't be disappointed. I love the paperless feature and have found both of mine to be quite accurate. I think it would be a good idea to get a decent screen protector. As for your first cache .. find a few in your area that have a low difficulty rating and go out and find them. It might also be a good idea to stay away from nano's and micros until you get the feel for our addictive activity.

That is a great unit - if you are a premium member - be sure to take advantage of pocket queries: http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!

Thanks Star Brand for your great suggestions!

I just bought a 400t about a month ago to start geocaching and so far it's been great. :) My four year old grandson is a bit of a techie but he handles the GPS all by himself, that's how easy it is to use. He loves it so much that I only get a chance to look at the GPS when he gets tired of holding it. Since I got the unit we've gone geocaching once a week for the past three weeks. We found our first two caches quite easily but today we were unsuccessful, although I'm impressed with the Oregon's accuracy.

I think geocaching is a great sport. Gets us out of house and into the fresh air, and we take the dog along so she gets some exercise too. My two year old granddaughter who loves to walk really enjoys the outings too.

I have the 400t, and I like it very much. Having all the information with you in the field is great. I think you will like it. The RnR wheel is nice to use after you get used to it.

For your first cache hunts, I would suggest picking some close to home. Stick to low difficulty, and take your time looking for them. If the hunt stops being fun, move on. It is all about the fun.

Everyone has already said the best things to start out with.

i bought the oregon 400t as a brand new geocacher a few weeks ago. The premium membership is a huge plus, so check that out after you find a cache or two. The paperless feature is the best part of the oregon 400t!

Ive only found 4 caches with mine, but its so addicting!

I hope you enjoy it, let us know how your first caches go. :o

The 400t has about 1G of space left over with the topo map loaded. With no experience with the newest version of CN, how large an area can be loaded in the 400t? (I only have experience with the now 3 year old version on my GPSMap60C, and I'm looking for a comparison)

And while I'm at it, is the nearly $100 dollar difference between the 300 and 400t worth it?