Device NOT FOUND

M.TEX

Another question about this...

Etrex VISTA ( must be the first one ) used from ebay ( I do not have the Garmin Software disc )

Updated USB driver and communication device from Garmin web page.

Everytime I try " send to GPS " on geocaching page , doesn't work...

You guys have seen this many times...but I can't fix it myself. Please help.

Thanks

Another question about this...

Etrex VISTA ( must be the first one ) used from ebay ( I do not have the Garmin Software disc )

Updated USB driver and communication device from Garmin web page.

Everytime I try " send to GPS " on geocaching page , doesn't work...

You guys have seen this many times...but I can't fix it myself. Please help.

Thanks

It is a serial device and therefore does not use Garmin's USB driver, that is for Garmin GPSr units with USB ports. If you are using a USB port on your computer, you need to load the driver for the USB~serial converter you are using and then set that driver to an unused serial port and then select that serial port in the software you are sending with.

Ok not sure what to do here...sorry.

The cable conected in SERIAL type...NOT USB.

so where I can find step by step to transfer data ?

What com port are you using on your computer and what setting do you have your GPS set to under interface? The GPS should be set to "GARMIN" Edited by coggins

My serial port stopped working with my Vista and Magellan, so I purchased a serial to USB converter and it has worked fine ever since.

If you have Palm desktop running on your PC it will sometimes commandeer the serial port.

moving to the appropriate forum where the experts lurk and might be able to assist

Change the interface setting in your Vista to output NMEA-0183, and open Hyperterminal and set it to read com1 with the following settings: 4800 bps; 8 data bits; 1 stop bit; no parity, and capture the data to a text file.

Anything? If you have done this correctly and are not seeing the dataflow from the Vista, then in order of likelihood;

1. improper setting on the computer
  2. bad cable
  3. improper setting on the GPS
  4. conflict with the serial port on the computer
  5. bad serial port on the computer
  6. GPS not functioning correctly

Edited by coggins

My serial port stopped working with my Vista and Magellan, so I purchased a serial to USB converter and it has worked fine ever since.

If you have Palm desktop running on your PC it will sometimes commandeer the serial port.

moving to the appropriate forum where the experts lurk and might be able to assist

Thanks,

Yes I have a PDA but it's not PALM is a dell axim and works with USB .

I will try to chand the settings on the GPS unit and let you guys know later....

But if doesn't work I guess I will shop for another cheap one at ebay again...

This time I know a little better , what works and what doesn't...

Edited by M.TEX

The 'Send to GPS' is designed to only work with USB gps'. Some people have gotten it to work with serial cables, but it's not supported by Garmin. If you keep trying, it might work on occasion, but could stop at any time.

Works every time under Windows XP Pro here, everytime. But it is true that serial is not supported on Macintosh, even says that on their website.

Edit to add works fine here with Vista also.

48b0ac88-eb08-4a99-8fda-acebdd1e250e.jpg

Edited by coggins

yeap I did some changes on settings but still NOT working...

Im looking NOW for some adapter on Ebay...But ALL I have found now don'd fit my

problem... they have there the 9 pin com port to USB....and I need USB plug with a FEMALE type com port,

so I can fit the Male cable I have here.....Ohhhh Boy if knew that last week when I got it , I would pass this

one and saved the cash for a better one....

Thanks , and please Help me with any other IDEAS or info to solve this NIGHTMARE :laughing:

The 'Send to GPS' is designed to only work with USB gps'. Some people have gotten it to work with serial cables, but it's not supported by Garmin. If you keep trying, it might work on occasion, but could stop at any time.

Works every time under Windows XP Pro here, everytime. But it is true that serial is not supported on Macintosh, even says that on their website.

Edit to add works fine here with Vista also.

48b0ac88-eb08-4a99-8fda-acebdd1e250e.jpg

Funny but the "send to GPS " window here DON'T show that Options on the side like yours....

IF I could pick another option, I would; but in this case I don't have devices alternative....

That was an older image, your link doesn't help you as when I follow it I get a list of my devices like this:

18bf3cee-5941-43f9-b1cf-5ac11d28110d.jpg

A USB datacard reader and an eTrex on com5 at the same time:

e2acd5d4-83d3-4cb2-93c6-acb8f31368a8.jpg

Your serial GPS cable should have a 9 pin female connector on it. If it has a male connecter, then where are plugging into on your computer, surely not the monitor output? The com port on your computer should be a male 9 pin port.

:laughing: ok the cable has 9 holes and the back of my laptop 9 pins...I called the cable part male becuse

is the one the fit IN the laptop ....

And the link is from geocache page....

the other image from garmin test page say ( software installed but device not found )

I CAN NOT see options because of that....

I guess I will give up.... :blink:

hummmm I just find out that the GPS has 4 conection points and the square part of the cable that I have comes with 3 pins.... But the car charger has 4 pins at the end....

whats up with that ?

I was looking the setting interface options and I noticed on the list for garmin DGPS has at the END

STATUS and it change from " tuning " to check wiring " and it's NOT even conected....If I conect , it does the same.... Jeeeeeeeeezz

what a piece of :laughing:

:blink: ok the cable has 9 holes and the back of my laptop 9 pins...I called the cable part male becuse

is the one the fit IN the laptop ....

And the link is from geocache page....

the other image from garmin test page say ( software installed but device not found )

I CAN NOT see options because of that....

I guess I will give up.... :blink:

You are using the wrong terminology, serial IO com ports on computers these days are DE9-M, with the M meaning male. You should use Hyperteminal to verify that your device is indeed sending data. Or you can use the MapSource software that should have can on a CD with the unit. I would bet dollars to donuts I could plug your GPSr into my system and it would work strait away.

hummmm I just find out that the GPS has 4 conection points and the square part of the cable that I have comes with 3 pins.... But the car charger has 4 pins at the end....

whats up with that ?

I was looking the setting interface options and I noticed on the list for garmin DGPS has at the END

STATUS and it change from " tuning " to check wiring " and it's NOT even conected....If I conect , it does the same.... Jeeeeeeeeezz

what a piece of :laughing:

3 connections for the GPS is all that is needed to send and receive data for the GPSr, the forth is for +DC voltage from the car charger. That is normal. As you don't have a DGPS device connected to the unit, it can't tune to it as is assuming that you have the setting correct and is suggesting you check your cabling as you know what you are doing. It has assumed wrong. I suggest before you put the blame the equipment, you learn what you are talking about.

OK 1 last question ....I don't know much about computer but I can get the job done....sometimes takes

a few minutes or weeks to figure out where is the mistake....

I do not have the CD . I got the gps from ebay and I habe the cables , pouch and the GPS.

I just email the last owner , and asked what he was doing to transfer data....Now I have to

look for his email soon....Maybe I will buy the USB / COM adapter....

Thanks for your help Bro.

Ok the last question ( stupid ) but how I find the Hyperterminal....

I can find where the device was intalled and sometimes you see on the list that "the driver" has a

problem....with ( ? ) mark on the list.

Is that the Hyperterminal ? I know it's stupid...but I need to ask.

Thanks you are doing a lot to help !

First off, the good news here is you can get the software without the CD, follow BOTH steps in the following tutorial:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-...-with-your-gps/

Try this first before working with HyperTerminal, as I'm not sure now that you are ready for that. In any case, you should find it like so:

Windows Start->All Programs->Accessories->Communications->HyperTerminal

Second, They aren't stupid questions, you just didn't know. I think there is a bit of a language barrier also. HyperTerminal is a Windows software program.

ok thanks I will try...

Well I know hyperterminal is a software from windows but sometimes there are stuff on the PC that

are hard to locate , if you don't use everyday....

I will get busy now with all the info you just left here....

BTW the original owner never used that cable....well don't ask me why...

Thanks Man ! I will try now.

Bad news...

both softwares didn't find the device....

The problem must be the com port.

Now it's time for the Hyperterminal thing....I was looking but I don't know what to do there....

I bet if you were getting paid to help , you would have a truck load with $$$$$ buy now :laughing:

For MapSource to be able to recieve from devuce you have to have Garmin selected as the Interface protocol in the Vista unit, I'm sure you knew from before. I only mention again because you changed the setting before and may have not reset it back.

1. What version of Windows are you using?

2. Go to Windows Start->Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager->Ports (Com & LPT)

3. What is listed as ports?

I did just like on POST #8

and I got a msg that there is busy with other stuff....what could be?

this is on the laptop and the only hardware is the GPS with cable....the PDA when in use

is on USB .....wow what apain !!!!

I will soon get 100 posts just on this thread....LOL

Edited by M.TEX

this is on the laptop and the only hardware is the GPS with cable....the PDA when in use

is on USB .....wow what apain !!!!

I will soon get 100 posts just on this thread....LOL

Let me know when you answer the queries from post#24

for windows I have XP

and there are 2 ports on the list as soon I click on the icon to see

if is there something instaled...

The options there are

Communication port ( com 1 )

ECP printer port ( LPT1 )

I went to Best buy today to find the USB to serial cable adpter thing but

they don't sell...

I found something on Ebay that is dirty cheap and I guess I will give a

try IF I don't get this thing running soon...

Thanks for your help.

Edited by M.TEX

Does the laptop have a built in modem? That might be where your conflict is if it is using the only com port.

for windows I have XP

The options there are

If you have a multimeter, you test the data output voltage on the GPS and do a continuity test of the cable. But it sounds like a problem with your computer setup.

sometimes iget the MSg that windows is trying to install a new hardware but ask for a CD...

ALL the software I have is the one I got here from you guys and Garmin...

That sucks....and after if I check for the hardware it show on the port list the sign ( ? ) not working....

its now on the device manager list as " Other devices " " Onknown device "

and the port com is emptyon the list .... ( If I try to send the device there , it does the same )

sometimes iget the MSg that windows is trying to install a new hardware but ask for a CD...

ALL the software I have is the one I got here from you guys and Garmin...

That sucks....and after if I check for the hardware it show on the port list the sign ( ? ) not working....

its now on the device manager list as " Other devices " " Onknown device "

and the port com is emptyon the list .... ( If I try to send the device there , it does the same )

Sounds like Windows is trying to fix the problem (possibly a corrupt driver for the serial port). When it asks for a driver CD put in your Window disc that came with your laptop and let it do it's thing. Until you get your computer sorted out, you aren't going to be able to proceed. That most likely has been your problem all along. There is nothing in the Garmin software that would have messed anything up. I don't know of any other software you are referring to other than the Garmin software.

ok I got it....

I will be hard to fix because I no longer have the windows CD....

I guess I need to give a try on that usb adapter...

No more waisting time....

I will see what I can do here , just keep looking here for updates .

Thank you for your time helping me out.

M.TEX

Try Radio Shack for a USB to Serial cable conversion. And good luck.

for windows I have XP

The options there are

I went to Best buy today to find the USB to serial cable adpter thing but

they don't sell...

I found something on Ebay that is dirty cheap and I guess I will give a

try IF I don't get this thing running soon...

Thanks for your help.

I bought my used Garmin etrex off craigslist and have been having THESE SAME issues since I got it. I have been manually entering waypoints for 6 months now.

And I even went to Radio Shack last week and he said they dont make a 9-pin serial adapter to USB.

I have seen those on ebay for $1.

I EVEN bought the garmin etrex USB cable off ebay and it doesnt work either!

I almost give up except that I LOVE GC'ing so much!!

ok last update !

got the serial to usb on Ebay the other day. ONLY 4.00 with shipping !

AND WORK JUST FINE !!!!

THANK YOU GUYS FOR ALL HELP ! I will soon be out geocaching now.

BTW it comes with CD ( Drivers ) but you need to figure out how and what to install

so for someone that don't know about computers could be a little dificult.

For some reason the plug and play part didn't work...had to find the folder to install...

after that the wizard does everything....

Edited by M.TEX