So I injured my Garmin

NatureGuy360

After years of geocaching with my stone aged Garmin eTrex Legend, I finally purchased a brand new Garmin Dakota 20 a few weeks ago. Wow, this unit is amazing! Well, it was amazing until my clumsy self dropped it onto some rocks, and put a nice little ding, or chip into the touch screen. Ugh! :)

So I know there are products on the market that remove dings from a car windshield. Do they also make any products like that for a touch screen GPS unit, or a touch screen phone for the matter?

I think it will take much more than a band aid to this fix this injury. Any help is appreciated! :P

After years of geocaching with my stone aged Garmin eTrex Legend, I finally purchased a brand new Garmin Dakota 20 a few weeks ago. Wow, this unit is amazing! Well, it was amazing until my clumsy self dropped it onto some rocks, and put a nice little ding, or chip into the touch screen. Ugh! :)

So I know there are products on the market that remove dings from a car windshield. Do they also make any products like that for a touch screen GPS unit, or a touch screen phone for the matter?

I think it will take much more than a band aid to this fix this injury. Any help is appreciated! :P

Dang man that sucks big time. Sorry to hear it!

A photo would help but if it hasn't spread, a very carefully placed drop (i.e. applied with a needle and the help of a magnifying glass) of epoxy or a cyanoacrylate glue (the Gorilla Glue mfg "Super Glue" with their "impact tough formula" would probably be the best choice for a touch screen) in the ding would probably prevent additional cracking and would fill and level the ding depression and would be my choice unless Garmin CS said to do otherwise.

Good luck.

Be safe.

N

If the touchscreen is a 4-wire resistive screen and I'm assuming it is, and the top layer has been pierced, the only fix is to replace the screen. If it's a 5-wire screen it may still be able to work with the damage to the top layer. In either case, I definately wouldn't use any glue on it. If the glue got through a hole or crack and bonded the layers of the touch screen together, that would damage it for sure. If touches still work across the entire screen and you don't want to pay for repair I'd say your best bet is to put a screen protector on it and leave it at that.