Need help getting caches to download into PN-40

Beege49

I am able to download from Geocaching.com using my desktop with Vista, but my laptop with Window XP doesn't work. When I connect my PN-40 to the laptop, the laptop indicates the connection, and the PN-40 lights up and shows an external power source. But the screen that asks about data entry never comes up on the PN-40, and when I try to download caches, the computer never finds my "device". Any ideas?

I am able to download from Geocaching.com using my desktop with Vista, but my laptop with Window XP doesn't work. When I connect my PN-40 to the laptop, the laptop indicates the connection, and the PN-40 lights up and shows an external power source. But the screen that asks about data entry never comes up on the PN-40, and when I try to download caches, the computer never finds my "device". Any ideas?

First, make sure you've tried every USB port on the laptop. Some PN-40s or, I should say PN-40 cables, are a little finnicky with USB connectivity. If connecting to another port helps, you may want to contact Delorme for another cable even though it seems to work ok on your desktop.

I heard (rather read, in another thread) that you should use a rear port in you CPU for the connection, as opposed to a front port. Something about wiring/connections, and the front ports are sometimes finicky.

I do use front port to hook up my PN-40, sometimes it works fine, other times I need to reconnect.

Solution? No, but I hope the info helps. ;)

First, make sure you've tried every USB port on the laptop. Some PN-40s or, I should say PN-40 cables, are a little finnicky with USB connectivity. If connecting to another port helps, you may want to contact Delorme for another cable even though it seems to work ok on your desktop.

Yes, I tried both USB ports. I had the same issue on my brother's laptop but was able to hold it in just the right position, at which point it would download! ;) So maybe it is the cable? Can't find any position that works with my own laptop :)

I heard (rather read, in another thread) that you should use a rear port in you CPU for the connection, as opposed to a front port. Something about wiring/connections, and the front ports are sometimes finicky.

I do use front port to hook up my PN-40, sometimes it works fine, other times I need to reconnect.

I hear you! I use the front ports on my desktop, and have discovered that I have to use exactly the right order of connection to get it to work: have site on computer ready to load, turn on GPS, disable fix, insert DeLorme cable to GPS, connect to USB port on computer, OK data entry. Then it will download! And generally only for about 10 or so caches, before I have to do it over again. Maybe I'll try the rear port next time, thanks for the idea! ;)

Yes, I tried both USB ports. I had the same issue on my brother's laptop but was able to hold it in just the right position, at which point it would download! ;) So maybe it is the cable? Can't find any position that works with my own laptop :)

Call Delorme support tomorrow. Tell them the issue and mention you were able to get it to communicate by manipulating the cable and they'll get another one sent to you right away.

Call Delorme support tomorrow. Tell them the issue and mention you were able to get it to communicate by manipulating the cable and they'll get another one sent to you right away.

Thanks, will do! I've called them before and they've been very helpful, but I always forgot to mention this little issue!

And by the way, the rear ports on desktops do tend to provide more stable communication with the 40 since they are connected directly to the motherboard.

Yes, and the front ports aren't ports.

They are actually remote hubs, just hard wired to the motherboard as opposed to a make-break connector.

OK, don't know what a make-break connector is, or a port vs a hub, but my USB "ports" are on the side of my laptop, so what does that make them? ;)

And by the way, the rear ports on desktops do tend to provide more stable communication with the 40 since they are connected directly to the motherboard.

Yes, and the front ports aren't ports.

They are actually remote hubs, just hard wired to the motherboard as opposed to a make-break connector.

OK, don't know what a make-break connector is, or a port vs a hub, but my USB "ports" are on the side of my laptop, so what does that make them? ;)

With a few very rare exceptions, laptop USB ports are connected directly to the motherboard.

Don't hate me, but I still lurk on some Magellan forums, there has been some discussion

regarding custom(read home fab.) cables and USB2 being very temperamental regarding

cable lengths and signal timing. Issues that weren't apparent w/USB1. Kinda reminded

me of some esoteric Hi-Fi cabling issues that the "experts" over in that realm seem to

deem pertinent to '"proper" Audio/Video reproduction'.

just a thought, I don't know how sensitive USB2 is to timing issues, but contextually it

might be plausible. Just sharing some musings that came to mind.

Norm

Follow-up: called support today and after reviewing options, they decided to send me a new cable! Thanks for your help! :D

Follow-up: called support today and after reviewing options, they decided to send me a new cable! Thanks for your help! :D

Good to hear. Hope it solves the problem. Let us know.

For the record, what was your hold time?