Declaring the value of a cache, or its contents?

MadFist_and_Midge

Okay, so I go to a 'members-only' cache that isn't designated 'log-only', and take a peek inside. I find a compass (about $5), and Swedish Fire Steel (about $12), an emergency blanket (about $2), a box of LEGO (about $10), a little key chain flashlight (about $2), and a $10 bill.

First off ~ Kudos and respect to the person that took a $10 item, left the $10 bill and logged it as such. You are a credit to the sport. Not only did you make me feel good by doing the right thing, BUT you also gave my daughter an excellent example of the value of being honest to those that are never even likely to meet you. :D

Now, do you ever publish the value of a cache? I can totally see not doing this in a public post, but it seems marginally safer to do in a private or members-only cache.

Along the same lines, I'm about to drop a cache full of embroidered patches. The cache is small and will only hold about 5 of them with a log. Would it be improper to tell people ahead of time that embroidered patches would be most appreciated or that they would be the most likely to fit?

Obviously there is no ruling board making laws in regard to GCaching, but any constructive discussion on your personal guidelines is appreciated.

P.S. ~ I took the flashlight and left a GCoin that a friend had given me. The cache had been in the same spot for about 3 years, and was really nicely taken care of so I didn't see any issue at all with the difference in value.

No one is expected to sit with a cash register and equal out the value of the swag in a cache.

You have to just decide for yourself the value of the item(s) you are trading. Just be honest and you will be fine.

I personally would never write down the cash value of items. But to each his own.

It's okay to request certain items be traded buy don't be surprised if that's not adhered to at all. It's definitely a good idea to give people some idea of the size range of items that will fit if you think that will be an issue.

Note that Geocoins are not not trade items. They are travelers and are meant to be moved from cache to cache. So technically, if you look a flashlight and left a Geocoin and nothing else, you didn't trade evenly. Don't sweat it though.

re: "patches only" cache. Typically called a theme or themed cache. Some people appreciate them, others don't care one way or the other. I am guessing that when you say "I'm about to drop a cache" you mean that you are placing a cache hide, correct?

You certainly may request that patches only be traded, but remember that it is only a request. You will probably find that many cachers will not adhere to your request.

We have a themed cache placed, and it seems many like it. Some don't seem to care one way or the other. A themed cache can be a nice change-of-pace. :laughing:

We have never seen the "value" of a cache published, and quite frankly, have never thought of caching as a monetarily valued endeavor. Sure it costs, but so does any other hobby or recreation, wouldn't you agree?

GPSr = $xxx.xx

Fuel = $ xx.xx

equip= $xxx.xx

swag= $ xx.xx

value= priceless

:laughing::D

I didn't know that about the coins... You're full of info! Does that include if they're not trackable? Because I know that lots of people also collect them*, and I can judge from any number of about 1,000 eBay auctions that they do have a monetary value, whether the cacher chooses to acknowledge it or not. I love the idea of the traveling prize and look forward to moving some travel bugs as I am forced to travel for work. I'll see it as adding some value to the trip...

*I do not collect them... I have enough junk in my life as it is.

And I agree that it's probably not a great idea to put a dollar amount in the listing, though I don't think you really expected me to be out there with a cache register (get it?) :D

I just meant to give folks an idea of what to expect once they arrive. I know that I'd feel bad if I took an hour to find a cache and then opened it and it was full of cool swag and I just had cheapy stuff. Just what I thikn would happen. It hasn't yet, but then I tend to keep a pretty wide variety of stuff to trade.

Thanks for the reply, MM! May your cords always be right and your batteries fresh! :laughing:

I agree 100% with your reply ~ Good points, all. Especially the 'monetary value breakdown'... :D (Add to that time spent with the kid and you've hit it on the head.)

And yes, I meant 'place' a cache. The man that got me into this has been caching since a January of 2001 and he always refers to it as 'dropping a cache.' The others in the group say the same, but likely because he's the senior member.

A themed cache sounds EXACTLY like what I mean. Good call. Still learning the vernacular ~ I'll catch up.

Thanks!

I didn't know that about the coins... You're full of info! Does that include if they're not trackable? Because I know that lots of people also collect them*, and I can judge from any number of about 1,000 eBay auctions that they do have a monetary value, whether the cacher chooses to acknowledge it or not. I love the idea of the traveling prize and look forward to moving some travel bugs as I am forced to travel for work. I'll see it as adding some value to the trip...

I think Motorcycle Mama was referring to activated, trackable geocoins. They are tecnically the property of the person who activated them and sent them on their way, so shouldn't be considered trade items. Same as travel bugs.

If it is an untrackable geocoin or one that has yet to be activated, it's a different story. They can be used as trade items and are much appreciated by many.

Now, do you ever publish the value of a cache?

No, I don't publish value of the cache. If you want to put price tags on all the items in your caches you can. But personally I wouldn't. If someone wants to visit a mini walmart they would be better off to go visit a store and buy the item themselves ;) .

Used to see a lot of caches start out with the items in the cache listed in the descprtion, with the idea people know what sort of things they should bring to trade. Maybe you would like to do something like that?? Of course that could lose useful as people visit and trade out the items.

I think Motorcycle Mama was referring to activated, trackable geocoins. They are tecnically the property of the person who activated them and sent them on their way, so shouldn't be considered trade items. Same as travel bugs.

If it is an untrackable geocoin or one that has yet to be activated, it's a different story. They can be used as trade items and are much appreciated by many.

Yep. I should have specified. Thanks, Brian.

Themed Caches are fine, and can be a lot of fun...these are Caches where you trade pins for pins, coins for coins, of pink for pink...and so on. Patches for Patches is a great theme. In cases where people might not be aware of what an item might generally be worth(like these patches) it's fine to make some note of the aproximate value, so that people may trade fairly if they are so inclined. Whenever I leave new unactivated Geocoins in a Cache, I try to note that Geocoins are worth between $5 and $12, so that the takers can at least TRY to trade fairly if they care enough.