Newbie Caches in Cleveland Area?

Andromeda321

Hi everybody!

I just got into this hobby and am currently in grad school at CWRU in Cleveland- found my first two caches today but there were also four caches today that I just couldn't find. Bit dejecting, don't think I'm that clueless... I suspect a reason is because all but one of the ones I have tried so far are micros in the University Circle area so they're just harder to spot, and poking around these boards reveals this is probably not the best sort of thing to start with. So does anyone know of any caches in the area good to cut my teeth on? I have a car and can drive, but just wanna whet my appetite before the snow flies and I lose most of my motivation to head outside.

Thanks a lot everyone. :)

Hi everybody!

I just got into this hobby and am currently in grad school at CWRU in Cleveland- found my first two caches today but there were also four caches today that I just couldn't find. Bit dejecting, don't think I'm that clueless... I suspect a reason is because all but one of the ones I have tried so far are micros in the University Circle area so they're just harder to spot, and poking around these boards reveals this is probably not the best sort of thing to start with. So does anyone know of any caches in the area good to cut my teeth on? I have a car and can drive, but just wanna whet my appetite before the snow flies and I lose most of my motivation to head outside.

Thanks a lot everyone. :)

I would plan your trip first and just go looking for the larger caches. If you search by your zip code it will bring up all the caches in your area. Look for this icon 06665914-d7a2-478c-b7c7-8c16358d3a4d.jpg the first square is for micros, the next is smalls, then regulars, then larges. The last one is unknown size. I would start out with the regular and large cache container sizes. Smalls maybe. But, read up on the cache first and see if they indicate what the container is. Also, look for any local events and go to them. See if you can pair up with someone and go out caching for the day.

Don't feel bad I have been doing this for several months now. I work at UH so I am familiar with a lot of the caches in this area. I have had trouble with several such as Taipan and The Wall. Some of the caches I had fun getting in this area are:

Mitch Parades the Circle, which is a bigger box

Caught in the Middle, is right in front of CWRU

And when the weather gets nice head to: ambler park it is really cool

Going up Mayfield is always great because there are so many, and at least 4 in Severence Town Center:

Dancing with Jack Hemp Ohio

Forrest Gump #2

Grabbin' Some Grub

What'er ye lookin' at ye Yellow Bellied Lubber ???

Did that Sign Say, "Cemetery?"

The Corner Drugstore

Need some gas ???

bexley park

Thanks a lot guys! Had better luck today and found two decent-sized caches- first one was relatively straightforward, second one made me thoroughly learn the lesson of reading the description carefully (would've saved a lot of grief!).

And mattfamily I know of Caught in the Middle because I downloaded the app while bored in the physics building and thinking "wait, there's one only 300 feet away?!" But it was dark when I went to check it out so I'm chalking up the lack of luck to that and will try again later.