States and Earthcache Master Badge

toczygroszek

I'm looking for explanation what mean "state" in description how to get Earthcache Master badge. For example platinium:

Visit and log twenty (20) or more Earthcaches in five (5) or more states/countries and have developed three (3) or more Earthcaches.

I thought, "states" means one of American states, as this country is really huge. But just one person from UK told me, he found Earthcaches placed only in UK and got badge just because there are couple of regions, named in Geocaching.com as "state". But they are not really states, and sometimes they are very close together, and sometimes you don't need leave border of your country to collect all necessary finds.

So what means "state" in badge requirement?

Our definition of state/country includes territories and other significant divisions. For example, North & South Islands of New Zealand.

The definitions is definitely broader than that used in the listing by gc.com. The most important thing is to list the country name AND state/territory division when you apply. For example, New Zealand, North Island. If you just put the country or (as the case seems to be often) the lat/longs, it will not be approved.

Geoaware

Unfortunately, it is the case that the GSA accepts the different regions into which so many countries are now divided up as states. So, e.g. the nine provinces in Austria each count as state. (One of them is Vienna and just outside of the city, already Lower Austria starts.) When people started to become aware of this definition, the run for Earthcaches badges was sped up considerably. Another unfortunate result of it was that cachers eager for the badges who would not had a chance to obtain the higher levels with the country interpretation (as they did not visit Earthcaches in several countries)

started to submit Earthcaches which did not result from a passion for geology, but from the need to have 1, 2 or even 3 Earthcaches. In this manner, some very weak Earthcaches resulted. Now in some areas it's not hard any longer to obtain the Platinum level without even having found a single Earthcache at a larger distance from home.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

Unfortunately, it is the case that the GSA accepts the different regions into which so many countries are now divided up as states. So, e.g. the nine provinces in Austria each count as state. (One of them is Vienna and just outside of the city, already Lower Austria starts.) When people started to become aware of this definition, the run for Earthcaches badges was sped up considerably. Another unfortunate result of it was that cachers eager for the badges who would not had a chance to obtain the higher levels with the country interpretation (as they did not visit Earthcaches in several countries)

started to submit Earthcaches which did not result from a passion for geology, but from the need to have 1, 2 or even 3 Earthcaches. In this manner, some very weak Earthcaches resulted. Now in some areas it's not hard any longer to obtain the Platinum level without even having found a single Earthcache at a larger distance from home.

Cezanne

First of all. In the USA you can be at certain locations where within very few miles, you can be in 3 or 4 different States. It doesn't matter. Unfortunately I live where only two States can be found close together. Actually, you can stand in the middle of our main street and be in two states at one time.

Next, your argument that the Masters program caused the proliferation of weak ECs needs to be proved! While I have had some disagreements with Geoaware in the past, he knows of my support for EarthCaching and I defend their (Geoaware and his team) qualitative approach toward approving ECs. Yes, their load had become heavy and it is easy to state, "some very weak Earthcaches resulted". Now all you have to do is prove it.

I have heard this theory before but I'm not sure it warrants the description as a theory but if it does, it is a totally unproven theory.

Lastly, your point that "it is not hard any longer to obtain the Platinum level" may have some validity. I have not done any statistical analysis but I expect that is true or at least true in the USA because there are so many more ECs than say two years ago. Frankly, that is why I changed my mind on having some award beyond the Platinum level. Degradation of quality because of an increase in quanity is an unproven, but I agree there are a lot more ECs. Thank goodness! :huh:

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

I personally think the idea of going to different States/Countries are inherently unfair in the Masters program. Cachers from large states/countries (Texas, Alaska, some western states, and in some countries) are at a distinct disadvantage. Not to mention smaller areas cut off (Hawii, Pacific Islands). Yet others have travel restrictions that make travel out of their country impossible, or difficult. A cacher in the eastern US could do this on a Sunday drive, while others would spend thousands of dollars to accomplish the same goal.

It would be better served to have levels for caches found, (up the numbers), rather then the traveling to other countries, states.

I personally think the idea of going to different States/Countries are inherently unfair in the Masters program. Cachers from large states/countries (Texas, Alaska, some western states, and in some countries) are at a distinct disadvantage. Not to mention smaller areas cut off (Hawii, Pacific Islands). Yet others have travel restrictions that make travel out of their country impossible, or difficult. A cacher in the eastern US could do this on a Sunday drive, while others would spend thousands of dollars to accomplish the same goal.

It would be better served to have levels for caches found, (up the numbers), rather then the traveling to other countries, states.

I'm from Texas and yet have managed to find Earthcaches in 14 different states and 3 foreign countries. Yeah, it wasn't easy (or cheap), so point taken. How about a recognition for finding at least one of each of the 20 different categories of Earthcaches? There's already a Challenge Geocache for accomplishing this!

Edited by HoustonControl

I'm from Texas and yet have managed to find Earthcaches in 14 different states and 3 foreign countries. Yeah, it wasn't easy (or cheap), so point taken. How about a recognition for finding at least one of each of the 20 different categories of Earthcaches? There's already a Challenge Geocache for accomplishing this!

It is possible, (obviously) but its just not fair around the world.

I looked at the Challenge Geocache and it looks great! By the way, congrats on doing it! :unsure: lol.

Seriously, this is gonna sound stupid, but an EC can have many geological features i.e. fit more than one of the 20 types, how do you decide which one of the 20 is appropriate? I know when you develop an EC you must classify it, but is there a secret way to tell what the developer had in mind? We have one multi-EC that represents the three major rock groups. Heck, I couldn't even classify it!

See, I told you my questions would sound stupid! :)

P.S. Where is Daniel when I need him? :rolleyes:

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

I looked at the Challenge Geocache and it looks great! By the way, congrats on doing it! ;) lol.

Seriously, this is gonna sound stupid, but an EC can have many geological features i.e. fit more than one of the 20 types, how do you decide which one of the 20 is appropriate? I know when you develop an EC you must classify it, but is there a secret way to tell what the developer had in mind? We have one multi-EC that represents the three major rock groups. Heck, I couldn't even classify it!

See, I told you my questions would sound stupid! :D

P.S. Where is Daniel when I need him? ;)

For that earthcache challenge, they use the official designation on earthcache.org for each cache.

And that is what I'm talking about - US states are big or bigger than European countries, so if you will divide European country by regions it's just to easy, there is no challenge.