Can't acquire sattellite on Oregon 400t

goathag

First of all, let me say that I'm frustrated beyond belief with Garmin and their 9-5 support.

I have an Oregon 400t. While caching in CA last week it was dropping signal frequently but my partner's Etrex didn't. I powered it off and flew back to MA. Now I cannot acquire a satellite. I have powered off, changed batteries, updated, and done everything except a master reset. I can still upload caches to it, but it seems to think I am still in CA.

BTW this is my third Garmin that cost over $300, and I always seem to go back to my $90 Magellan. I find myself using the Garmins (Oregon and Colorado) to upload data, and the magellan to get me where I'm going.

First of all, let me say that I'm frustrated beyond belief with Garmin and their 9-5 support.

I have an Oregon 400t. While caching in CA last week it was dropping signal frequently but my partner's Etrex didn't. I powered it off and flew back to MA. Now I cannot acquire a satellite. I have powered off, changed batteries, updated, and done everything except a master reset. I can still upload caches to it, but it seems to think I am still in CA.

BTW this is my third Garmin that cost over $300, and I always seem to go back to my $90 Magellan. I find myself using the Garmins (Oregon and Colorado) to upload data, and the magellan to get me where I'm going.

My thoughts

With major moves you would need to reinizilize it or just put it outside for 30-40 minutes and it should be good.

Can't speak to the details on the OR. However, virtually every GPSr has an option for setting your approximate location while the unit is searching for satellites. To get a (reasonably) quick fix after moving the unit more than few hundred miles with power off, you need to do this. Most likely, this option is available from the satellite screen.

If you can't find the option, simply turn the unit on, put it outside with a clear view of the sky, and let it sit. Most likely, it will acquire a fix within 5-10 minutes.

I tried the suggestions posted here with no results. The device will sit for 5 minutes and I get the message that it is having difficulty aquiring sattelite, do I wish to continue...I've been at this for a couple of hours. Pretty sure I'm beating a dead horse here.

At what point do I try a hard reset? I can reload all of my data, but I don't want to cause any problems.