How do I transfer tracks to a nuvi?

hoyshnin

Maybe you can swap the internal track with one of your tracks, but as far as I know, 255 does not have a custom made track support, as it doesn't have a track manager.

Hm, I've added topo maps to my nuvi (from gpsfiledepot), so couldn't I also theoretically add another layer made up solely of tracks that I want to add? Does anyone know how to do this?

You want to get the program: G7ToWin

Drop the GPX track files you created into this program.

In your Nuvi is a file named: current.gpx.

It contains your Favorites and track log. If you want to keep the existing tracks and favorites in your Nuvi, then drop the current.gpx file into the program. You can cut the current track log and keep the favorites (listed as waypoints.) When you are done, save as current.gpx and copy back to your Nuvi, overwriting the original file.

It will show your tracks as a blue line on the screen. As you drive, new blue lines are created. When the current.gpx file reaches 10,000 track points, it will create archive GPX files, so eventually your created track lines will not show and you will have to repeat the process.

... it will create archive GPX files, so eventually your created track lines will not show and you will have to repeat the process.

Nuvis do not archive tracks.

Are you sure this works? Have you tried it?

Yes, for the Nuvis that keep "Trip Logs" such as my 255W, in the GPX folder there is a sub-Folder named "Archive". You will see files named 1.gpx, 2.gpx and so on. Each file is about 1MB and of course shows the date the file was created. This means that every track point is stored. I can go back from the beginning of the year and pull out a track for any day and see where I went and the distance. This can be helpful if you use your car for business.

You want to get the program: G7ToWin

Drop the GPX track files you created into this program.

In your Nuvi is a file named: current.gpx.

It contains your Favorites and track log. If you want to keep the existing tracks and favorites in your Nuvi, then drop the current.gpx file into the program. You can cut the current track log and keep the favorites (listed as waypoints.) When you are done, save as current.gpx and copy back to your Nuvi, overwriting the original file.

It will show your tracks as a blue line on the screen. As you drive, new blue lines are created. When the current.gpx file reaches 10,000 track points, it will create archive GPX files, so eventually your created track lines will not show and you will have to repeat the process.

This didn't work for my Nuvi 750, which records tracks, but I have never been able to download tracks to it.

Your g7towin website says not to save the file as current.gpx, but to save the file as temp.gpx . I did that first and only transferred the waypoints. I cleared them out of the Nuvi, then tired saving as current.gpx. Again, the waypoints were transferred but not the track I created in MapSource around my house. Both times I made sure the tracks were in the g7towin program, and I made sure the Nuvi was set to display tracks.

Did I do something wrong?

Edit: After hooking up the Nuvi a third time, I opened the .temp folder with MapSource and all the waypoints and the track were in there. The current.gpx file was empty because I had cleared out the waypoints before hooking up the Nuvi. I used MapSource to send the waypoints and tracks from the .temp folder, but, again, only the waypoints were transferred. Whah!

Edited by Chuy!

... Did I do something wrong?

Nope! I found that my Nuvi 760, 550, and 265WT would record tracks, but would not display tracks transferred from Mapsource UNLESS the track had been created by that particular Nuvi. I tried the temp.gpx and current.gpx routine with the same results - the track is in the GPX file but won't display if it's not an "original" track. I concluded there must be some sort of coding (unlikely) or a hidden file with the tracklog that needs to match the one you are transferring.

I gave up a while back and returned the 760 and 550 to Costco, and don't use my 265WT for anything to do with tracklogs. If I need tracklogs I use my 60Cx or 60CSx.

Bob