Travel bug - how do I pass it on?

Talkwalker

I recently picked up a travel bug, and now I am hoping to put it in my first geocache, which is currently under review. I have looked through the geocaching.com site, but I only see information about what to do once you pick one up.

Do I just leave it in a cache until someone else picks it up and registers that they have it? Or is there a process by which I have to register that I dropped it?

Any advice on this would be most welcome.

ps- I am very new to the forums, this is my first posting. (Shows, doesn't it?) Anyway, that is my question, and I have only been geocaching for about 2 years off and on.

Talkwalker

Welcome to these forums, Talkwalker B)

The link given by Ejadis above explains how to do the on-line 'drop off' of any trackable item and there's even more information about them here: How to log a travel bug or geocoin and other guidance.

Good luck with having your new cache reviewed and published. Once it's been listed you can log your own 'Write note' on your cache and drop the TB into it.

MrsB :)

Welcome!

Come to the forums more often, most any question is answered here. Do spend some time as there is already tons of info throughout. Notice though, there is also much "wandering" off-topic (actually that can be fun, too)!

Once your cache is published (or before, it doesn't matter), visit your cache and put the TB into it. Log onto geocaching.com and virtually "visit" your cache online. Instead of logging a "find" (is bad form to "find" your own cache), post a "note" saying that you placed the TB but do not post the tracking number online, the name of the traveler suffices.

To virtually "drop" the TB, scroll down and highlight the traveler in your inventory window, then hit the submit button. You are done and in business! :)

One bit of caution. . .

Although you can access your cache page before it is published AND log a traveler drop to the cache, the traveler owner will NOT be able to view the cache information. They will get a email indicating that the traveler has been placed in your cache, but will be prevented from actually accessing the webpage for the cache.

Usually this is not a problem, but something to keep in mind--especially if approval of your cache is delayed for some reason.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Very helpful not only on my current question, but also just to give me a better idea of some of the ways to do things. I took Mrs. B's suggestion finally, and that worked like a charm. When I went to do maintenance, I logged it, and the 'drop item' appeared at the bottom of the log, just before the 'post entry' button!

TW

Welcome to these forums, Talkwalker :lol:

The link given by Ejadis above explains how to do the on-line 'drop off' of any trackable item and there's even more information about them here: How to log a travel bug or geocoin and other guidance.

Good luck with having your new cache reviewed and published. Once it's been listed you can log your own 'Write note' on your cache and drop the TB into it.

MrsB :)