Looking for a GPS...

Kalwren

That is both great for Geocaching and for turn-by-turn directions in my vehicle.

Does one exist?

I'd like a big enough screen to be able to see it clearly in my car and yet small enough to be portable to take for Geocaching.

Thanks in advance! I looked through the forum and I've been poking around online but I'm either not searching correctly or I'm not looking in the right place.

You will encounter different opinions. My experience is with Garmin models.

The Nuvi 500/550 models are designed for the dual role of vehicle navigating and hitting the trails. However, there is a reason you'll find it listed in the vehicle section on the Garmin website - they are the same bulky size (relatively speaking) as the std-width Nuvi's. At least they are water resistant and have removable batteries.

The handheld models are sturdier units, capable of sustaining certain drops, and easier to manipulate in your hand. The top end models are capable of holding detailed maps for turn-by-turn directions and even though they have smaller screens then the Nuvi line, they are still effective in taking you to your destination.

My opinion is that handheld models are better able to double as a dash unit, then a dash unit is able to double as a handheld unit.

Pound for pound, the dash units are a better value because they come with maps preloaded - you can get a Nuvi 255w for $150, ready to go out of the box. The best-value handheld will be the Etrex Legend HCx for $185 plus another $80 for maps, plus more for DC power adapter and data card and batteries, etc... But the 255w does not have a compass screen (an arrow pointing to the cache). You'll have to navigate by zooming in the map screen - probable no less than 80 feet.

You'll have to decide what features you're willing to compromise.

Edited by Chuy!

Hi

I use a Garmin Oregon 300 which i use as both, Geocaching and Satnav.

Its great but you need to add maps, these can vary in price from Free to £120 here in the UK.

The unit performs really quite well as a satnav but does not have a voice for directions, it beeps and displays the next instruction on the screen. It is also not quite as accurate in this mode as a dedicated satnav, sometimes doesnt take the route i would.

But as a handheld i think it excels, accurate robust waterproof etc.

The unit allows for different Profiles to be set, so i have one for Automotive and one for geocaching and switch between them for the different uses.

Very easy to use and to live with.

hope this helps :D

Thanks for the replies!

Wow, I'm surprised something like this hasn't been developed yet. Who wouldn't want a vehicle/handheld portable GPS unit?

I appreciate the feedback. I'll continue looking.

I guess I'll be getting one for my vehicle and build my own kit to make it rugged.

Thanks again!

I guess I'll be getting one for my vehicle and build my own kit to make it rugged.

I remember reading somewhere, or maybe saw it on youtube of buying Polypropylene Sheets and "cooking" them in the oven to form-fit them around just about anything - knives, GPS, guns, etc...

Another thought is to get two GPS'. An affordable dash model that stays in the car, and a handheld unit for the trails. A Nuvi 205w can be had for $120; a Venture HC (don't buy a model below this one) for $125. This will be less then getting a Legend HCx after adding the mapping software, dash adapter kit, etc...

We have a Garmin GPS Map60CSx and love it. We use it geocaching and for car travel. For travel we hook the GPS up to our Netbook and use Garmins N-route and Navigator maps. With N-route you have voice command and routing. Just a thought if you have a laptop you travel with (even it you dont you can find Netbooks really cheap)....I love the Big screen!!