Thai cache note and Thai language.

Hi everyone,

I was wondering why there is no "cache note" in Thai, knowing that its available in "Arabic" or even in "Hindi". i was surprised not finding one. Is there any way that we can get one translated in Thai. I could ask my friend to do it, but how do i submit it to the website? who is in charge?

also, when i wrote some thai on the cache page it appears like this: ???????????? on the page. There are many Thai geocachers and the site does not accept Thai language, how come?

please help as Geocaching is a worldwide website and should accept any languages.

regards,

Benjamin

also, when i wrote some thai on the cache page it appears like this: ???????????? on the page. There are many Thai geocachers and the site does not accept Thai language, how come?

That's indeed strange. I know Japanese is supported (I've seen logs and even cache descriptions in Japanese) so didn't think Thai would be a problem. I copied and pasted some Thai text (should be UTF-8) from Wikipedia and posted a note on one of my caches. Here's what I observed:

1. Entry looks OK

2. After submission, the page looks OK.

3. Viewing cache page shows "????????"

4. Viewing log alone in its own page shows "????????"

5. Editing shows "????????" indicating information is permanently lost

6. E-mail sent to CO has Thai text.

I suggest posting to the geocaching.com website forum.

Hi everyone,

I was wondering why there is no "cache note" in Thai, knowing that its available in "Arabic" or even in "Hindi". i was surprised not finding one. Is there any way that we can get one translated in Thai. I could ask my friend to do it, but how do i submit it to the website? who is in charge?

please help as Geocaching is a worldwide website and should accept any languages.

regards,

Benjamin

We have many cachenotes in English/Thai but without exception they are muggled with or without cachenotes. If you contact any of the frequent Thailand (farang) cachers they will send to you. Many have have offered to

get their gf's to type them as documents and submit to GC, but never have. They really are only available as pictures *.jpg etc but of course are printable.

As mentioned in another forum there are NO Thai cachers here, one or two have logged that number of finds, but then disappeared. I doubt because of no Thai script. There's no Thai script on the GPSr menus.

Whatever makes caching here unattractive I very much doubt if it for lack of Thai script. Most Thais can read English well i.e. the segment of the population who might have a GPSr, although their spoken English is generally abysmal. I've been here 36 years working with Thais, so know a little about this.

Edited by ximines

Hi everyone,

regards,

Benjamin

I used to have an aupair from Thailand. She spoke and wrote English fairly well but also wanted to send email to friends back home so I installed a Thai font on a computer she used here. That may be all you need to do to convert the question marks to Thai characters.

Yes, Geocaching is a worldwide activity with a web site used world wide. Like or not, most web sites that are intended to be used world wide will, by default, render in English. I do a fair amount of work with one of the United Agencies (FAO) and they have an official policy on what languages must be available for all of their web sites. The U.N. "official languages" are English, Spanish, and French. Many of their sits will also include two more, Arabic and Chinese. I asked someone that I collaborate with frequently at FAO and he told me that they don't add support for other languages but in most cases, those in other countries prefer to conduct business in English.