Guildlines for Archived Caches.

JABs

Is there or are there any guildlines for the logging of archived caches?

I have recently found a cache that was archived several months ago and reading through the guidelines see nothing about if you can or can't log them.

If I have missed something can someone point it out for me.

I have recently found a cache that was archived several months ago and reading through the guidelines see nothing about if you can or can't log them.

I don't think there are any 'rules' for logging them. I think in theory there wouldn't be anything for you to log, are you sure you didn't imagine this cache? :rolleyes:

I would just log it as a find on the cache page like you normally would. Its the owners fault for not picking up the container. If the owner thought it was missing, then your find log would tell them that it is indeed there. My dad found a cache like that once. He had old coordinates in his GPSr, found the cache, but couldn't find it online. He eventually tracked it down and saw that it was not only archived, but DNFed by some very good cachers in the area.

There is another cacher who enjoys going to find archived caches. There was one that he found that was archived for 2 years, but the container was actually still there. Not sure how he knows if there is a reasonable chance of them still being there, but nonetheless, log the smiley :rolleyes:

There is a mystery cache in Seattle that has hundreds, if not thousands of finds since it was archived. I would say log away.

Jim

I want to put a word in for those who are now thinking about going out and finding archived caches.

The reason Groundspeak doesn't list the archived caches with the other caches is to keep you from doing this.

The reason they don't want you to run out and do this is there are often many reasons why caches are archived. Some caches need to not be found anymore.

a couple of examples of this, are

1. caches that have been found to be on private property and the owners have asked that the caches be removed. (finding one of these and getting caught can get Groundspeak into trouble)

2. caches unsafe for various reasons, such as

a. a cache was archived in my city because of a violent homeless person who was living next to the cache was chasing cache hunters away with a baseball bat.

b. during a search for a cache in a logical place I got electrocuted (touching the outside of a thing attached to a pole) and I was at the closest spot to ground zero. The owner decided to archive this because that was a logical place to look and didn't this happening to anyone else, especially in the rain.

3. The area may have been a natural area that was getting distroyed by cache finders and the owner archived it to protect the environment (something I've known to have happened a number of times)

or many other reasons that the cache should not be searched for.

There are many reasons things get archived besides the container being missing.

(usually if the container is missing it will get replaced)

I want to put a word in for those who are now thinking about going out and finding archived caches.

The reason Groundspeak doesn't list the archived caches with the other caches is to keep you from doing this.

The reason they don't want you to run out and do this is there are often many reasons why caches are archived. Some caches need to not be found anymore.

a couple of examples of this, are

1. caches that have been found to be on private property and the owners have asked that the caches be removed. (finding one of these and getting caught can get Groundspeak into trouble)

2. caches unsafe for various reasons, such as

a. a cache was archived in my city because of a violent homeless person who was living next to the cache was chasing cache hunters away with a baseball bat.

b. during a search for a cache in a logical place I got electrocuted (touching the outside of a thing attached to a pole) and I was at the closest spot to ground zero. The owner decided to archive this because that was a logical place to look and didn't this happening to anyone else, especially in the rain.

3. The area may have been a natural area that was getting distroyed by cache finders and the owner archived it to protect the environment (something I've known to have happened a number of times)

or many other reasons that the cache should not be searched for.

There are many reasons things get archived besides the container being missing.

(usually if the container is missing it will get replaced)

Which are all good reasons it would useful to have an recenty archived PQ so those problem caches be easily removed from the offline databases noone is supposed to keep :huh: