Text Message Notifications?

oyarsa1

I believe I've noticed some forum users talking about receiving text messages to their phone when a new cache is published. How do they do it??

Some providers will send you an SMS if it receives an e-mail at a certain account. Have your notifications go to that e-mail address (you know about notifications, right?)

I found this using google, not sure how accurate it is. Give it a try and if it doesn't work, check with your carrier.

http://www.sms411.net/2006/07/how-to-send-...l-to-phone.html

First, verify your cell phone is text messaging enabled. Then, contact your cell service provider and determine the e-mail address text messages should be sent to (e.g. 15555555555@cellprovider.net). Finally, go to Instant Notification Service on the geocaching website. You'll need to build a separate notification for each cache type you want to be notificed about.

There are more detailed instruction linked from the Notification Service webpage.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

I believe I've noticed some forum users talking about receiving text messages to their phone when a new cache is published. How do they do it??

Some providers will send you an SMS if it receives an e-mail at a certain account. Have your notifications go to that e-mail address (you know about notifications, right?)

I found this using google, not sure how accurate it is. Give it a try and if it doesn't work, check with your carrier.

Excellent, I'll save that, as this question comes up a lot, and I'm often one of the answerers.

You'll have to send another text out to request the coordinates for the cache though, having the vital information of the waypoint name from the notification. When you think about it, it's not much different than sitting home on the computer when the cache notification email comes in. You don't get the coordinates in that email, you have to go to Geocaching.com to get them.

Excellent, I'll save that, as this question comes up a lot, and I'm often one of the answerers.

You'll have to send another text out to request the coordinates for the cache though, having the vital information of the waypoint name from the notification. When you think about it, it's not much different than sitting home on the computer when the cache notification email comes in. You don't get the coordinates in that email, you have to go to Geocaching.com to get them.

How do you get the coordinates texted back to you? I get the gc # to my phone but I have to call home to my wife to get the coords. I realy hate making that call cause she always sais when are you comming home. LOL

How do you get the coordinates texted back to you? I get the gc # to my phone but I have to call home to my wife to get the coords. I realy hate making that call cause she always sais when are you comming home. LOL

From the page linked to by Motorcycle mama:

Looking up a Geocache

If you want some basic information for a cache, text "GEOC ?[GC CODE]" (no quotes) to 41411. There is an upper text limitation so you may not get a whole lot back of interest.

If I'm not mistaken, I tried that with my wife's cell phone once, and it worked. Meaning anyone can do this, and you don't have to have your account all linked up with the texmark feature. It only returns the first 160 characters of a cache page, but in the few tests I've tried, it will always include the coordinates.

P.S. There are no brackets, i.e. =====> [ ] around the GC CODE, or also known as the waypoint name. And of course no quotes as the say above.

I have a iPhone with AT&T and I set up 2 notifications 1 for my SMS to get the instant notification, and another for my email so when I get the notification via SMS I just click on the email option on the phone and the notification comes through there and I just click on the 2nd link and the whole cache page comes up.

SMS

XXX-XXX-XXXX@text.att.net

ScubaSonic