Used our Colorado 300 for the first time today....

Wow, I really hope there is just something we are missing here, but we were not thrilled with it. Loved how easy it is to use and the size, BUT...it shut off twice on us (is there an auto shut off perhaps if there is no activity for a while?) and the accuracy was not as good as I was expecting. My Nuvi 255W seem to do a better job. (quicker and more accurate) The Nuvi is not exactly the unit we want to be walking around with.

PLEASE tell me I'm just missing something or just need to do some updates.

Thanks!

Wow, I really hope there is just something we are missing here, but we were not thrilled with it. Loved how easy it is to use and the size, BUT...it shut off twice on us (is there an auto shut off perhaps if there is no activity for a while?) and the accuracy was not as good as I was expecting. My Nuvi 255W seem to do a better job. (quicker and more accurate) The Nuvi is not exactly the unit we want to be walking around with.

PLEASE tell me I'm just missing something or just need to do some updates.

Thanks!

Right out of the box, you should run the Garmin Updater application to make sure your unit has the current firmware.

HTH

Right out of the box, you should run the Garmin Updater application to make sure your unit has the current firmware.

HTH

Thanks, just did that and I saw quite a few things that we experienced today that said the update would fix . Hopefully that will help.

Thanks again.

Edited by WeSeekCache

Accuracy is not the Oregon's strong suit. You will likely never see a WAAS bird and most of us have found that turning that off seems to help. If you are under tree cover it is even worse.

The interface is so nice to work with that even as disappointed as I am about the above issue (wait until you get to the never turning arrow problem) I decided not to ditch it and get the Colorado.

Accuracy is not the Oregon's strong suit. You will likely never see a WAAS bird and most of us have found that turning that off seems to help. If you are under tree cover it is even worse.

The interface is so nice to work with that even as disappointed as I am about the above issue (wait until you get to the never turning arrow problem) I decided not to ditch it and get the Colorado.

I hate the never turning arrow on my colorado but I did find out that it seems to happen right when I step out of the car.

I have not had the never turning arrow problem on my Colorado 300. It's been a great unit for it's accuracy, ease, interface, and other features. I still wish it's Wherigo support was a bit stronger, but for right now I would not trade it for any other unit.

i think this only happens when you go right from car mode to geocaching or something like that. I have not seen this either , but pretty sure it was talked about mostly being seen when going right from driving to walking. The last batch of updates fixed like 95% of all the issues they had, Another tweak or 2 should have these just about 100% or as close as you can get. Im sure some will still whine about some feature that another can do or something, I just want them to do all they are suppose to do without issues and that will be good enough. Heck they just added raster support which is a major bonus if they can get it all working 100% as its still beta.

I have not had the never turning arrow problem on my Colorado 300. It's been a great unit for it's accuracy, ease, interface, and other features. I still wish it's Wherigo support was a bit stronger, but for right now I would not trade it for any other unit.

i think this only happens when you go right from car mode to geocaching or something like that. I have not seen this either , but pretty sure it was talked about mostly being seen when going right from driving to walking. The last batch of updates fixed like 95% of all the issues they had, Another tweak or 2 should have these just about 100% or as close as you can get. Im sure some will still whine about some feature that another can do or something, I just want them to do all they are suppose to do without issues and that will be good enough. Heck they just added raster support which is a major bonus if they can get it all working 100% as its still beta.

Yup, getting out of the car is when the arrow stops moving. I found something that works to fix it though. Run about 4 steps....

It worked like a charm last night. The arrow locked 3 times and all three times the 4 step run fixed it.

I sure hope Garmin fixes this bug soon though.

So we should turn WAAS off? I swear we used it on our Nuvi 660 which seems to get excellent accuracy and signal. Then again that is one of the older models.

I always have WAAS turned On with my Colorado 400t...and I can't recall NOT seeing a WAAS signal (a "D" the the bottom of the signal bars of the Satellite screen) unless I've just turned the GPS on after a few days of non-use...and even then it picks up WAAS after just a few minutes.

Although the Oregon is known for having issues with WAAS, the Colorado is NOT...and since the OP is discussing the Colorado, talking about issues with the Oregon could mislead others to think the Colorado has the same issue.

For the Colorado I would highly recommend leaving WAAS turned On.

I always have WAAS turned On with my Colorado 400t...and I can't recall NOT seeing a WAAS signal (a "D" the the bottom of the signal bars of the Satellite screen) unless I've just turned the GPS on after a few days of non-use...and even then it picks up WAAS after just a few minutes.

Although the Oregon is known for having issues with WAAS, the Colorado is NOT...and since the OP is discussing the Colorado, talking about issues with the Oregon could mislead others to think the Colorado has the same issue.

For the Colorado I would highly recommend leaving WAAS turned On.

Yes I agree on this, I see the D on the bars everytime I turn my Colorado on and I have never seen issues with accuracy. The Oregon and Colorado have different chips and everything so even tho they may have an issue or 2 the same, they are not the same for the most part at all.

Edited by RangerR47