map creator

brokenoaks

I came across this cool little freeware mapping program from JDMCOX Software that may be of use to some of you. it is called USAPhotoMaps. it accesses and downloads U.S.Geological Survey aerial photos, topo from terraserver-usa.com and data from Tiger streets that can all be merged to create your own custom maps that import and export to your GPSR. it has many other features and is fun to use.

I came across this cool little freeware mapping program from JDMCOX Software that may be of use to some of you. it is called USAPhotoMaps. it accesses and downloads U.S.Geological Survey aerial photos, topo from terraserver-usa.com and data from Tiger streets that can all be merged to create your own custom maps that import and export to your GPSR. it has many other features and is fun to use.

Unless I'm missing something, this is a bit misleading. At least for Garmin users, base maps are in a proprietary image format, and this the custom maps can't be imported/exported to a GPS. It looks like you can import/export waypoints/routes/tracks but one can do that with EasyGPS as well.

have you had luck making routable maps using ariel photos?

Unless I'm missing something, this is a bit misleading. At least for Garmin users, base maps are in a proprietary image format, and this the custom maps can't be imported/exported to a GPS. It looks like you can import/export waypoints/routes/tracks but one can do that with EasyGPS as well.

wow man! no one is trying to mislead anyone! I simply found a cool little free program that works well. I could care less if anyone uses it or not. I just like to play around with different things and thought some others might as well. I am very aware, as are most people in this hobby, that there are many other programs out there that do about the same thing.

OK, everybody calm down... you're both right.

It's a cool little free program. And it does do all that the OP said, if you read it correctly.

It does not download maps to a GPSr. It displays them on a computer. It downloads tracks and waypoints to a GPSr, but not maps.

Yeah, I got kind of excited when I saw the original post, because I thought I'd be able to load aerial photos as maps on my Garmin. It only took about five seconds on the software's web page to realize that it wasn't meant to do that.

I didn't download it, because I can already do most of that stuff with Google Earth and EasyGPS.

Yeah, I got kind of excited when I saw the original post, because I thought I'd be able to load aerial photos as maps on my Garmin. It only took about five seconds on the software's web page to realize that it wasn't meant to do that.

I didn't download it, because I can already do most of that stuff with Google Earth and EasyGPS.

Is it possible to create the maps, though, and then use another program of some kind to send them to a gpsr?

OK, everybody calm down... you're both right.

It's a cool little free program. And it does do all that the OP said, if you read it correctly.

It does not download maps to a GPSr. It displays them on a computer. It downloads tracks and waypoints to a GPSr, but not maps.

That was essentially the gist of my post. The question of whether one can download maps as base maps for a GPS comes up fairly often here. I just thought what the OP had posted needed a littler clarification.

Actually I was thinking about base maps last night when I was looking at one of the GPS map depot sites for some base maps I could use in France and Peru when I (hopefully) travel there next year.

Currently Garmin has a few different offerings for base maps including routable maps and topo maps. So I wonder what would happen if they went to a model similar to one of the many sites out there where one can download a song at a time rather than purchase the entire CD.

What if GPS manufactures had a interactive site where one could enter a location (or a route from Google Earth) and it would produce a basemap on the fly that could be downloaded for a small fee, adjusted for the size of the coverage area.

I've got a copy of the Topo maps for my Garmin and even though I do a fair amount of business and vacation travel I've only used a small percentage of the mapsets available from CD. I've been to Europe and Africa several times since I've owned my GPS but really can't justify the cost of the Europe or South African maps. If I could, however, download a City Navigator or Topo map of southern France for a fraction of the cost of the complete DVD I could easily justify spending $5-$10 for a map which I might only use for a week.

I use USA Photomaps to trace trails on aerial photos, then I use GPSBabel to turn those traced routes into Garmin GPS tracks and then use Mapsource to load those tracks into my GPS so I have a tracklog of trails that aren't otherwise mapped.

To do this you need USA Photomaps, GBSbabel, and Mapsource.

Here's the batch file I use -- directory paths will need to be changed depending on where your programs are, so you'll have to edit this a bit:

REM  PM2GDB.BAT  - Converts USAPhotoMaps Route (.txt) to Garmin Tracklog file (.GDB)

REM  USAPhotomaps is available from www.jdmcox.com
REM  GPSBabel is available from www.gpsbabel.org

REM  Modify the next 3 "SET" lines so they suit your system.  Mapsourcedir is the folder
REM  where mapsource.exe resides.  Babeldir is the folder where gpsbabel.exe resides.
REM  Outputdir is the folder where the output files will be written.

SET MAPSOURCEDIR=C:\Garmin
SET BABELDIR=C:\YourGPSBabelFolder
SET OUTPUTDIR=C:

REM TO USE THIS BATCH FILE:  Save it as PM2GDB.BAT on your desktop, then just drag 
REM and drop a USA Photomaps Route file (.txt) format onto it.  If you've done 
REM everything correctly Mapsource will open and the tracklog will be created.

REM We need to modify source file with a new first line: utm_z,utm_n,utm_e 
REM to make gpsbabel happy
echo utm_z,utm_n,utm_e > "%OUTPUTDIR%\Newtrack.txt"
type %1 >> "%OUTPUTDIR%\Newtrack.txt"

REM   TEXT BETWEEN THE LINES MUST BE ON THE SAME LINE IN THE BATCH FILE
REM   It wrapped when I posted it but it can't be 2 separate lines

REM _______________________________
"%BABELDIR%\gpsbabel.exe" -p "" -t -i unicsv -f "%OUTPUTDIR%\newtrack.txt" -x transform,trk=wpt,del=n -o gdb -F "%OUTPUTDIR%\newtrack.gdb"

del "%OUTPUTDIR%\newtrack.txt"
start %MAPSOURCEDIR%\mapsource.exe "%OUTPUTDIR%\newtrack.gdb"

Edited by DocDiTTo

I use USA Photomaps to trace trails on aerial photos, then I use GPSBabel to turn those traced routes into Garmin GPS tracks and then use Mapsource to load those tracks into my GPS so I have a tracklog of trails that aren't otherwise mapped.

Here's the batch file I use -- directory paths will need to be changed depending on where your programs are, so you'll have to edit this a bit:

REM  PM2GDB.BAT  - Converts USAPhotoMaps Route (.txt) to Garmin Tracklog file (.GDB)

REM  Modify the next 3 "SET" lines so they suit your system.  Mapsourcedir is the folder
REM  where mapsource.exe resides.  Babeldir is the folder where gpsbabel.exe resides.

SET OUTPUTDIR=C:

REM TO USE THIS BATCH FILE:  Save it as PM2GDB.BAT on your desktop, then just drag 

"%BABELDIR%\gpsbabel.exe" -p "" -t -i unicsv -f "%OUTPUTDIR%\newtrack.txt" -x transform,trk=wpt,del=n -o gdb -F "%OUTPUTDIR%\newtrack.gdb"

Very cool, thank you!

SET OUTPUTDIR=C:

DocDiTTo, Any way you could explain the procedure. I would love to try it but I need a little 'step by step' help.

Thanks for the help !

SET OUTPUTDIR=C:

DocDiTTo, Any way you could explain the procedure. I would love to try it but I need a little 'step by step' help.

Thanks for the help !

I don't think USA Photomaps will work in Canada, so you probably can't get this to work. I believe the program only works in the USA.

Terraserver maps seem to have limited coverage and a bit dated in some locations.

If you want map creation function using up-to-date Google maps, you should try my web-based tool. You can draw tracks and points for direct export to a GPX file, or draw full overlays of polygons, lines, and points that can be used to make Garmin-compatable maps.

The tool is tailored to make GPS golf maps, but it can be used to show anything you want on the GPS.

Try it out. There's a help button for detailed directions, plus a database of completed golf maps from around the world.

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~don_barger/Map-page.html

Don

The neatest option ever for Colorado Oregon Dakota came with the last beta update.

Add your OWN custom map. Believe me, it really works very well.

Since then many people try everything else, but refuse to read Garmin's instructions and learn how this works.

For an unclear reason many prefer all kind of different programs, most of them very user unfriendly.

This might be new to many, so have a look at

http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/trail-tech/

Terraserver maps seem to have limited coverage and a bit dated in some locations.

If you want map creation function using up-to-date Google maps, you should try my web-based tool. You can draw tracks and points for direct export to a GPX file, or draw full overlays of polygons, lines, and points that can be used to make Garmin-compatable maps.

The tool is tailored to make GPS golf maps, but it can be used to show anything you want on the GPS.

Try it out. There's a help button for detailed directions, plus a database of completed golf maps from around the world.

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~don_barger/Map-page.html

Don

Fantastic website! I had some trouble at first but then noticed the "help button," be sure to read that!

Edited by hoyshnin