Is the Oregon 550 primte time ready for geocaching?

ZeMartelo

I currently have the Colorado 300 and I love the unit, it works great, the accuracy is phenomenal but I am thinking of upgrading to the new Oregon 550.

The 3 axis compass is appealing, the fact that it can hold 5000 geocaches is a plus and the camera is an added bonus.

I would miss the roller, not too crazy about the touchscreen but thats a minor inconvenience.

I've read a few reviews of the unit, but none went into detail about what interests me the most... geocaching.

Is this unit ready for prime time?

Is the accuracy as good as the Colorado?

Does it work well as far as bugs is concerned?

Should I buy one?

Have not used the Oregon myself. I know that some cachers consider the Colorado caching workflow superior to the Oregon. On the other hand, most of them like the touch screen better than the RnR for entering text. So YMMV :laughing:

You might check this out:

http://www.gpsfix.net/garmin-oregon-550t-second-impression/

Scott (g-o-cashers) usually has his head screwed on straight about stuff like this.

I read Scott review and it all looks good, but I want more reviews of people that are using the unit for geocaching.

I am concerned that the accuracy is not as good as the Colorado.

The accuracy, to me, is fine, and comparable to the Garmin 60CSx I'd been using before I bought the 550t. I used the 550t to find 23 caches yesterday in a combination of urban and rural settings, including one cache rather deep in the woods. I've never owned a Colorado, but so far I'm happy with the Oregon.

--Larry

I use both for geocaching and the Oregon 550t is at least as good as the Colorado. It comes down to a matter of preference at this point (mine preference is by far the 550t, but you'll find others who like the Colorado just as well).

Oregon accuracy is very good with GPS firmware 3.7 (software release >= 3.12).

I have the 400t and I cache with a friend who has a 300 and a 550, so I've actually had hands-on experience with all three. My impression of the 550 is it's a little more sluggish and it's a much bigger PITA to calibrate the compass. My friend apparently agrees because he typically uses the 300 and the 550 is his backup.

Pete

Have not used the Oregon myself. I know that some cachers consider the Colorado caching workflow superior to the Oregon. On the other hand, most of them like the touch screen better than the RnR for entering text. So YMMV :o

You might check this out:

http://www.gpsfix.net/garmin-oregon-550t-second-impression/

Scott (g-o-cashers) usually has his head screwed on straight about stuff like this.

^ what he said. I actually do prefer the CO's screen choices and workflow, but didnt like the wheel. Much much prefer the OR's touchscreen. OR (and CO) is turning out to be a very good caching workhorse, about the best all-in-one caching unit out there (IMO)

Edited by Maingray

Got today a brand new 550.

Had a chance to use it a bit.

I am having trouble with the USB connection to the PC.

Its very finicky. I have a kingston 1Gb microsd installed.

I am finding myself having to plug several times the unit for the computer to see both the unit and the card.

Sometimes it cant even see the unit at all. It gives an error message about some sort of USB error.

Anyone having this problem?

The other thing I will need time to get adjusted to is the geocaching mode.

Its extremely slow showing the cache description.

I also find the Colorado layout dealing with caches to be alot better.

To be able to see the description/logs/hint, need to get out of the map, click geocaches and then select the desired option??? Whats with that?

Why cant there be three buttons at the bottom of the map page to give instant access to description/logs/hints?

The 550 also seems to suffer the same problem as the Colorado in regards with the stuck compass pointer. Its bummer I was hoping the 3axis would make a difference.

It was only the first day with the oregon 550 coming from a Colorado and right now I am not impressed despite the 5000cache limit and the 3axis compass and camera.

The slowness displaying cache info, the layout of the interface for geocaches and the stuck compass pointer are disapointments that I didnt expect.

Hopefully new firmware upgrades will resolve these issues.

PS - I have installed the latest officia version. Not touching the latest beta with the raster maps.