Software question

I was wondering if there's software out there for your GPS that will load and update geocaches on a mapping program. That is, a map program with geocaches already loaded. I think that's the best way to phrase that. Any ideas?

I'm not sure if your question is regarding a GPSr in hand and looking for software that supports it,

or looking for a GPSr and software combination to aquire.

In the case of the latter, the DeLorme GPSrs, PN-20, -30, and -40, are bundled with the

Topo USA 8.0 mapping application which will do exactly that.

To accomplish that:

1. I open and unZip attachement to the emailed Pockey Query file with the cache descriptions,

2. With Topo USA 8.0 up and running, I import the cache description file and they are automagically displayed over the map of the subject area,

3 Additionally, they are displayed as hyperlinks on the map so a "click" on the icon brings up the cache page from Geocaching.com,

5. I can then connect my handheld DeLorme GPSr to my PC and transfer the cache descriptions to it.

If your question is regarding the former possibility, I can't help.

However, I'm certain that users of the other models will stop by and offer answers. :D

This is timely - I unwrapped my new PN40 today and my questions is after logging finds on the handheld how do I translate those back to geocaching.com? I was spoiled by the iPhone app for that...

On the PN-40 hit menu>geocaches>menu>upload field notes then go onto your profile and scroll down to access field notes>scroll to DeLorme>hit upload>browse>find the eausermaps>select field notes file and upload them. Finally, you are now ready to log the finds online!

I think I got it all correct... :o

Thank you for taking the time to respond! I guess what I meant was this: on map programs there are features already loaded on the map. So things like mountains, points of interest, things of that nature. I'm wondering if there's a program that has geocaches loaded also. I understand the delorme does something similar I just am hoping I can find something to load on my Garmin eTrex.

Edited by Lighthousesearch

Thank you for taking the time to respond! I guess what I meant was this: on map programs there are features already loaded on the map. So things like mountains, points of interest, things of that nature. I'm wondering if there's a program that has geocaches loaded also. I understand the delorme does something similar I just am hoping I can find something to load on my Garmin eTrex.

This might be just what you're looking for. Garmin has a free "POI loader" program that you can use to load Geocache locations onto your eTrex. The bonus of using it is, you can load LOTS of POI's!

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=927

..but it kinda depends which Etrex you have .. which one do you have?