adding and subtracting from coordinates

gum-nuts

This is my first post - we have been caching in Oz for about 3 weeks and have got 25 so far with one FTF, we have also hidden our own cache.

I have decrypted a clue for a cache (In Australia) which has the co-ordinates embedded in it then near the end it tells me to add to the southing and take from the easting to find the true co-ords. When I have tried this end end up in the ocean, so i guess i am going wrong somewhere! Maths isn't my stong point! :D

The coords are S32degrees 11.097 E116 degrees 1.285

The instructions are " you should take point two minutes from the easting and add point five minutes to the southing"

This is my first post - we have been caching in Oz for about 3 weeks and have got 25 so far with one FTF, we have also hidden our own cache.

I have decrypted a clue for a cache (In Australia) which has the co-ordinates embedded in it then near the end it tells me to add to the southing and take from the easting to find the true co-ords. When I have tried this end end up in the ocean, so i guess i am going wrong somewhere! Maths isn't my stong point! :D

The instructions are " you should take point two minutes from the easting and add point five minutes to the southing"

The co-ordinates you show are HDD.MMM, it should be a straight forward operation. How ever the terms southing and easting would be more in tune with UTM co-ordinates. Do you need to do a HDD.MMM to UTM conversion first?

Jim

This is the clue that I un scrambled -

"I telephoned miss terry on one of her better days last week and she invited me over for a cup of tea and a chat she told me of another of her treasure troves but said that to find it you would first have to find her helper though she didnt say what her helper was she said that she could not remember the exact spot where the helper was located but it was very close to the following coordinates thirty two degrees eleven point zero nine seven minutes south one hundred and sixteen degrees one point two eight five minutes east how can she remember such things as helpers' coordinates whatever a helper is when she cant remember where she left her treasure she also mumbled some thing about the xfactor making it hard to miss and some thing else about the treasure spot being visible from a far when i asked her what i should take she quickly suggested a powder then laughed and said to take a canteen of water and perhaps a sandwich she doesn't realise that drinks come In cans or plastic bottles these days after listening for what seemed many hours she remembered that the coordinates she gave were wrong and added that you should take point two minutes from the easting and add point five minutes to the southing i wonder what she meant by that"

I have highlighted the coords, others have found it but it is confusing the hell out of me!

Which results in S 32°11.597' E116°01.085'.

Which is east of the Southwestern Highway, just south of the intersection with Eleventh Road.

Edited by DENelson83

Which is east of the Southwestern Highway, just south of the intersection with Eleventh Road.

ah, not quite.

Jim

ah, not quite.

Jim

I get the same result as DENelson.

When did it become OK to solve puzzles for others in the forums? That's pretty much always been considered bad form. If this was my puzzle cache, I'd be kinda pissed.

I didn't want it solving for me, I just wanted to know how to add and subtract from the coords - check my original post! To check I was doing it right.

The answers I have been given dont make sense to where the cache is supposedly located - so I will keep working it out for myself!

Edited by gum-nuts

When did it become OK to solve puzzles for others in the forums? That's pretty much always been considered bad form. If this was my puzzle cache, I'd be kinda pissed.

It's a good thing it's not your cache then, so you can just relax.

It may be bad form but it's not forbidden.

Did I miss the election for Ethical Compass of the Forums? There was a time when moderators would swoop in and close a thread like this. It may not have started as a "help me solve this puzzle" thread, but it turned into that the moment the GC number was posted.

Did I miss the election for Ethical Compass of the Forums? There was a time when moderators would swoop in and close a thread like this. It may not have started as a "help me solve this puzzle" thread, but it turned into that the moment the GC number was posted.

Yup, it was the first tuesday of the first full week after the Chinese new year.

I could see why you would be confused. Like jholly mentioned, Easting and Southing refers to UTM (WGS84 uses North, South, West, East) so you would have to convert S 32° 11.097 E 116° 01.285 to UTM which would be 50H E 407752 N -3561356. The decimal symbols would be placed E 407.752 S 3561.356. So here is where confusion enters. UTM does not use minutes, it uses kilometre. So either you assume you alter them by -.2 and +.5 coming up with E 407.552 S 3561.856 and convert back to WGS84. Or you can assume that Easting and Southing are use wrongly and you use straight WGS84 and come up with the others solution.