Oregon Power/Signal Cable

DyverDown

Anyone used this cable?

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=26668#

Can it be connected to the fuse panel? I emailed Garmin this "Ok.. but what VOLTAGE should it be connected to (12 volts, or can it handle the actual vehicle power 13.8 when the car is running??)" and the response I got was "I am happy to help you with this. 12 Volts"

I believe (I am by no means a mechanic, so bear with me) that the alternator output is greater than 12V when the vehicle is running (to facilitate charging the battery). I want to know if this >12V will adversely effect the Oregon ie: will I fry my GPS?

:(

Hi

I use a Motorola car charger £6.99 from tescos or cheaper

it is a USB fitting and works fine with mine, just set your device to garmin spanner.

Saves wireing it into the fusebox, if you need more than one connection buy a 2into1 cigarette adadpter

Do these have the GPS out wires on the USB fitting? I need that to connect to my VHF radio to give position data to it.

About https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=26668# :

One of the reviews here points to a pretty big voltage range: 8-36 Volts. I bet it even works well on old 24 volt trucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-11131-00-...e/dp/B001CX0OLE

Voltage on 12 Volt cars usually ranges from 8 volts (low battery), to around 14 ( charging, via alternator or otherwise), so this cable should work great.

Hi

it is a USB fitting and works fine with mine, just set your device to garmin spanner.

Saves wireing it into the fusebox, if you need more than one connection buy a 2into1 cigarette adadpter

Do these have the GPS out wires on the USB fitting? I need that to connect to my VHF radio to give position data to it.

No Just power, but i have set mine up to use as a sat nav and it works fine both in and out of the car

I am a little confused.... how do you send NMEA data from the unit without connecting to the USB port????

If you mean you use the GPS as an in-vehicle navigation system by connecting the vehicle power to it, then I understand, but I ALSO need to have the NMEA data output from the GPS to go to my VHF radio to allow it (the VHF) to receive positional aware weather and send a distress signal complete with position (if ever required).

Hi

No Just power, but i have set mine up to use as a sat nav and it works fine both in and out of the car