SSSI and Nature Reserve Questions

Seganku

Hi all,

Is there a difference between a Site of Special Scientific Interest and a Nature Reserve area when it comes to hiding caches. I know you need permission to hide on a SSSI but what about Nature Reserves?

I've found a spot for a cache close to my home but it's coming up as a Nature Reserve on the Magic map. I've looked on the SSSI Natural England website and the area isn't showing up on their list of SSSI's.

Any help or advice on these matter would be greatly appreciated and probably save me wasting a lot of time when looking for future cache sites :smile:

Hi all,

Is there a difference between a Site of Special Scientific Interest and a Nature Reserve area when it comes to hiding caches. I know you need permission to hide on a SSSI but what about Nature Reserves?

I've found a spot for a cache close to my home but it's coming up as a Nature Reserve on the Magic map. I've looked on the SSSI Natural England website and the area isn't showing up on their list of SSSI's.

Any help or advice on these matter would be greatly appreciated and probably save me wasting a lot of time when looking for future cache sites :smile:

You need permission from whoever owns the land for any cache. If its a nature reserve then the reviewer with normally ask for information regarding who you gained permission from and the nature of the permission.

If in doubt contact your local reviewer via email with the location details and see if they can offer any advice or start by looking on the geocaching UK Website:

http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/permish.html

I managed to get permission from the local ranger by approaching him in person and explaining what I wanted to do and where. This I have heard works better then approaching the head offices or cold calling organizations.

Goodluck.

Yorkie30 :lol:

MAGIC seem to be updated on a more regular basis that Natural England. MAGIC does in fact use information provided by Natural England as well as other Departments within the 2 Governments and Assembly. From experience of using MAGIC, plus feedback off them. They seem to appear to update on average twice a week.

Deci

might be worth checking out GAGB we list all the agreements already made and can help making further agreements, especially if it's a wildlife trust.

We have the main geocaching.com guidelines, the GAGB guidelines, the GAGB landowner agreements database, forum posts announcing changes to guidelines and a host of useful resources such as the maps that we reviewers use. I've tried to make my resource website somewhere that pulls all this information together to make it easier for people to understand where specific permission may be needed or where caching may not be allowed. I've deliberately not made it a repository for the actual information that applies to the UK. The GAGB already provide that excellent resource for us :(

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources

Edited by Graculus