Distance from home coordinates

Mikeeusa

Hi, Very new to this and have already found a problem. I have my home coordinates plugged in, and double checked. From the home page, if I click on the Search For Caches, my home coordinates display correctly, but the results distances are WAY off. One in particular is within 3 miles of me and the result page shows that it is 20 miles away. Caches that show to be close, are actually miles away.

Now, if I put in the coordinates manually through the Advanced Search feature, it reports correctly.

What could be causing this?

Edited by Mikeeusa

Curious.......... Is the amount of deflection the same with every one? Or is that difference in varying degrees?

If you entered your home coords yourself (I am sure you checked them) but, is it possible that you yet made a mistake (fat-finger syndrome)?

Try plugging in your address, or town if it is a small one. See if that works differently in the distances displayed.

Outside of that, I am going to step aside and allow those with more knowledge in these matters to respond.

EDIT: <City> isn't too small, now is it!

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Hi, Very new to this and have already found a problem. I have my home coordinates plugged in, and double checked. From the home page, if I click on the Search For Caches, my home coordinates display correctly, but the results distances are WAY off. One in particular is within 3 miles of me and the result page shows that it is 20 miles away. Caches that show to be close, are actually miles away.

Now, if I put in the coordinates manually through the Advanced Search feature, it reports correctly.

What could be causing this?

There are two possibilities:

1. Your right.

2. You entered something wrong.

Since it's working for me, 1 is a not very likley. It would require a very special case... how are you entering in your coordinates? Is it in the correct format? DDD MMM.mmm vs DD.DDDDD vs DDD MMM SSS.sss, etc?

OK, took everyone's ideas and went back and redid my location. The only way I could get it to take was to go to my profile and use the map feature to find me and then save the changes. Hopefully it will hold. It was strange in that even though my location was entered right on the home page, when I went to the find page, the location was different. Oh well, I have been messing with computers since 1965 so nothing really surprises me anymore as to how software can ruin a day and consume so much time. Need to get out and find something!!

Thanks All!!