NEWBIES:...."and what have you learned, Grasshopper?"

okie-wan

For what it's worth, this is what I did. I received my 60CSx on 22 Sept. and dutifully read the owners manual. Yes, Virginia, men do read owner's manuals. I punched in my first 2 caches as waypoints, stuck "Whizo" (my GPSr) in my pocket and went merrily on my way to bag my first 2 caches, the first being a micro! I loveitabunch! (Yes, that's one word where I come from.)

Now comes the barb in the hook!: I found myself sinking into this new technology and language. I researched, read tutorials, asked many questions of the "Elders of the Tribe," thank you all again.) PDA, paperless caching, GSAK, PQ's, EasyGPS, and acronyms too numerous to mention! What the heck do I need all this STUFF for? I WAS having fun! Two weeks lost from caching while "buried" in frustration.

Last Friday I'd had enough. I created a PQ, and a route, by myself and with NO net. Saturday morning at oh-dark-thirty, I was back on the road again.........HAVING FUN AGAIN!

The weather this week is supposed to be lousey. Now is the time to spend in what I now call ground school.

Will I learn all this STUFF? Eventually, as I need it, or "grow" into it.

The moral of this story? Have FUN first. Don't do what I did! :P

I'm using an old old Magellan GPS unit. There's no fancy software involved, no "send to GPS," heck I can't even get it to use the "go to" function. I plan my route before I leave the house, write down or print out the coordinates and other relevant info, grab a thermos of coffee and my Nikon, and I'm good to go. I don't even turn on the GPS until I'm parked and ready to start hunting.

One of my team members has a new GPSr unit and I can't use it to save my life. Too complicated.

I'm "cachin' it old school" and lovin' it! :P

How funny , I was about to go for a better unit because I did my first hunt with a ,car oriented Gps and decided to hunt the house to find my old lowrance Gobalnav Gps. Grabed a pdf Manual online and GO. I have found second attempt caches with it without problems. Now i'm looking for my old iPAQ to be usefull wthin my new passion.

I hear 'ya roswellseeker. My unit was a gift and wifey got me a $300 gift certificate, so I got the 60CSx, which I think is way too much machine for me so far. Still think I should have got that wooden model with the vacumn tubes I had my eye on! This GPSr/Phaser is a complicated "thang" but as long as I keep on "stun" I shouldn'hurt my sorry 'ole self! :D:P

:P Love it.

Glad you have found The Way once more.

MrsB

"Blorenge is the only word in the entire world that rhymes with orange...and it's made up to help those people who are out to prove everyone wrong accomplish their goal. Other words that don't have a word to rhyme with them are purple, month and silver."

I just started Geocaching this week and have quickly gotten addicted. I read a bit on the geocaching.com website but that is all the research I have done. I am learning as I go and having great fun at it! ('cept for the bug bites) It seems to me that letting common sense and courtesy prevail is rule enough. Don't trespass, leave things as you found them....etc. We learned everything we need to know about Geocaching by the time we were 5 years old. Have fun out there and be careful. =)

Yes, beginning padawan.

It's good to see that you have connected so well with the force and have seen a glimpse of the Dark Side.

Let your feelings guide you towards fun and your connection with the force will be complete.

You will master the more difficult elements once you are ready and your training has progressed.

Even Luke Skywalker couldn't lift his fighter out of the swamp on his first attempt. :D

May the geo-force be with you!

Stargazer,

You made my day! That was great! You know Star, we're always looking for a "Few Good Jedis," but keep this quiet. I can make a few calls and get you into the academy. You get a real neato light sabre for graduation. Good thing you're from Floridy 'cause the guys from Kahl-ee-fawn-ee-uh can't have them, so we substitute a Mickey Mouse squirt gun.

May the GEO-FORCE be with you. LMAO :):D:laughing: