Garmin Oregon 300 System Time

I read the Wiki page for the Garmin Oregon 300 and saw that it has no option for time stamping field notes with the time you find or didn't find the geocache. But in actually viewing the geocache_visits.txt file I see that it does display a time setting in the text.

My thought was I would edit my field note text to show the time stamp, then upload to the geocaching website. Well today at 3:40pm Central time I made a DNF field note. Came home and was going to edit the field note for that visit. It's showing the time as 20:40 in the geocache_visits.txt file and which would be 8:40.

Why is it not showing the correct time as 15:40?

Yes I have my Setup > Time as Central.

When I googled this problem I could only find what a great "time" I will have my with Garmin. :unsure:

I read the Wiki page for the Garmin Oregon 300 and saw that it has no option for time stamping field notes with the time you find or didn't find the geocache. But in actually viewing the geocache_visits.txt file I see that it does display a time setting in the text.

Hmmm. http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Geocaching#toc15

GC13.) Does the Garmin Oregon timestamp my finds? Can I get the timestamp to show up in my logs when I use fieldnotes?

Yes, the file that is uploaded from the Oregon called geocache_visits.txt has a complete date and timestamp for when you marked the cache. There is a Colorado FieldNotes Import GSAK macro which converts the timestamp data so that the timestamp will show up in your GSAK logs. There currently isn't a way to automatically get the timestamp into your log at geocaching.com.

If the above is what you are referring to, yes the Oregon 300 time stamps the information, but does not contain that information in the field note itself that is uploaded to the GC website. It's a two part question, they are saying "yes" to the first part. The second part is misleading.

If someone can help me figure out how to automatically have the time stamp show on the field notes, I'm open for suggestions.

I'm on Mac OS X.

I'm not familiar with any Mac software for geocaching, so my only suggestion would be...

I don't know how many geocaches you typically find...if it's just a few, you could edit the geocache_visits.txt file before you upload it to geocaching.com.

Copy/Paste the time into the comment (the last field, enclosed with quotes) in a text editor.

e.g. GC1YFNZ,2009-10-01T13:05Z,Found it,"2009-10-01T13:05Z"

I'm not familiar with any Mac software for geocaching, so my only suggestion would be...

I don't know how many geocaches you typically find...if it's just a few, you could edit the geocache_visits.txt file before you upload it to geocaching.com.

Copy/Paste the time into the comment (the last field, enclosed with quotes) in a text editor.

e.g. GC1YFNZ,2009-10-01T13:05Z,Found it,"2009-10-01T13:05Z"

That was my goal, but it's in Zulo time, so i have to subject five hours from the time.