Anyone from New Orleans? Need some help...

usyoopers

We have just found out that we will be visiting New Orleans in November. We will be staying at the Hotel Monteleone. I have been bookmarking caches in that area. As we will more than likely be carless, what is the best way to navigate the city? Are there sites/areas/caches to not miss? If we were to rent a car for a daytrip where would you recommend going??

We are from Northern Michigan and have never been to Louisiana so any hints/tips would be very appreciated!

One cache in NO that is a must do is" View Carre." We're from NJ and have never seen a cache like this. It was our 500th find. :) What a cache for 500! We also did quite a few micros and virtual caches. Try to get to St Louis Cemetary in the morning to do the virtual there. If your into Waymarking, there's quite a few to do. Have fun in NO. ;)

We have just found out that we will be visiting New Orleans in November. We will be staying at the Hotel Monteleone. I have been bookmarking caches in that area. As we will more than likely be carless, what is the best way to navigate the city? Are there sites/areas/caches to not miss? If we were to rent a car for a daytrip where would you recommend going??

We are from Northern Michigan and have never been to Louisiana so any hints/tips would be very appreciated!

Walking tour: Definitely do the View Carre cache by Team Bamboozle.... and the ones around the French Quarter, Jackson Square, the Old U.S. Mint...up to St Louis Cemetery and do the Marie Laveaux virtual. You can just take in the restaurants, sites, etc while doing the caches. I would plan to spend the whole day doing this

Driving tour: go to Mandeville (which is right across the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway, the longest bridge in North America). Any cache by Angel&Richie in Mandeville are great. They go the extra mile on their design and placements.

I would also post your question on the South East Louisiana geocaching site, http://www.louisianageocaching.org/

You just may luck up and get a personalized guided tour of the area. They are some good people down there in the southern part of the state.

Edited by LSUFan

Ditto View Carre. An absolute MUST DO for anyone visiting town. I revisit that cache every time I am in NOLA just to enjoy the view. Menu Venue in the Quarter is another fun one, and it's at a NOLA classic. Let's Go To France might show you a piece of something interesting too.

If you enjoy history, wander over to the WWII museum and grab the virt on the way inside too. Another interesting virt, but perhaps out of walking range, and probably not one to do at night is the Voodoo Queen's gravesite.

It's is a very walkable city, and you can grab a trolley to move along St. Charles or Canal Streets if you like.

Check out chowhound.com and yelp.com to get dining recommendations from real people, not professional tour guide writers. Be prepared to be adventurous eaters and laissez les bon temps roulez. :P

We're heading down this weekend to spend a couple of days before a cruise next week. We are staying in the Andrew Jackson -- we are planning on walking all over the Quarter, GPS in hand! We are also looking forward to View Carre -- I'm from the Memphis, TN area, and it has been recommended by locals to our area who have been to NOLA.

There are quite a few caches in Audubon Park, many of which I've been unable to find even after multiple caching trips to the park. You can get there easily from the French Quarter area by taking the St. Charles street car. There are a few others along the way if you don't mind paying the fare to hop on and off or if you get a pass. And as others have said, View Carre is one that you should try hard to get to (as long as you aren't terrified of heights).

Many thanks to all who gave us sugestions for our trip. We had a terrific time caching, eating and drinking.... almost walked the soles of our shoes right off! We were able to navigate very well by streetcar so visits to Audubon Park, City Park and the Metaire cemetery were very doable. We got lucky having an evening flight home so we were able to go to the Po Boy Fest before leaving for the airport.

A great City....fine food, good music and lots of caches to find!