Garmin Oregon 300 vs Dakota 20?

d_c

Hi all,

A local store has the Dakota 20 and the Oregon 300 for the same price. I'm just looking for opinions for people as to which would be the recommended choice.

From what I've read through the forums, the main differences seem to be...

1) Dakota screen isn't as bright

2) Oregon compass is more jumpy and isn't 3-axis

3) Dakota screen is smaller so you don't see as much of the map at once

4) Oregon has a shorter battery life

I don't really care about the picture viewer on the Oregon.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Some recommendations and discussion here:

http://www.gpsfix.net/gamin-dakota-20-first-impressions/

As for the screen brightness the Oregon's backlight is stronger but the Dakota has slightly better outdoor/sunlight visibility than the Oregon 300.

The biggest difference is the screen size and resolution. If your primary use is geocaching where unit size/weight and battery life isn't as important I would go with the Oregon.

Basically the sole reason I chose the Oregon over the Dakota was the screen size - I think it is nicer to have the bigger screen. I have no troubles at all seeing the screen in the sunlight, and the battery life wasn't a big enough difference to make me sway one way or the other. I also have large hands, and the Oregon was plenty small enough for me as far as that goes.

I was slightly intrigued by the 3-axis compass, but I'm glad I didn't let that sway me either. The 2-axis seems to work fine when I want it, but to be honest I usually just leave it turned off most of the time anyway for geocaching.

Street price for both is about $350 in the US right now. Makes it hard to justify a Dakota.

Hmmmm, but we just are not seeing the same prices of the Oregon as you guys in the US. The Oregon 550 is not that much more than the Oregon 400. The 300 is within US$70 of the 550.

There must be a few older Oregon units still to sell in NZ.