garmin 12..is it too old

duke721

so my first 3 caches were found using knowledge of area combined with good hints...now i love the hobby and recently was donated a garmin 12..i have been back to 2 of previously found caches and the GPSr says im not at GZ...any tips or tricks..or is the garmin 12 just outdated

so my first 3 caches were found using knowledge of area combined with good hints...now i love the hobby and recently was donated a garmin 12..i have been back to 2 of previously found caches and the GPSr says im not at GZ...any tips or tricks..or is the garmin 12 just outdated

We started out ourselves with my old Garmin 12XL, found a few and DNFd a few. In the city it was a bit off but out in the field it was never a problem with the accuracy.

Today we use Oregon 300 and 550 but not because we couldn´t manage with the old 12, just because we wanted the newest gadgets and if course having logs and hints as well as maps is no drawback at all.

But i will never be giving away my trusty 12 ;)

So you could try a little more or just buy a newer one. But remeber, experience in this game makes it easier to find caches even if the coords are a bit off.

As to outdated, yes it probably is, new technology has made these things better and more accurate.

How far off did your unit put you??

Outdated, yes. Too old, no. A trusty unit.

Amen on that. My old GPS-12 is almost bullet proof. I've dropped it countless times, typically off of a moving motorcycle or bicycle and it always kept working. I even dropped it from a hang glider once while ridge soaring. I finally found it the following weekend and it worked perfectly after I replaced the batteries.

I bought it new in 2000 and only retired it about 5 months ago when I bought my Oregon 400t. Now it pretty much loiters in a drawer, but I've been out nostalgia caching with it a couple of times and it leads me right to caches just like my Oregon does.

Pete