Geocoins

MamaMia1969

:drama: Hello, I was looking for a new GPS unit and I went onto the Magellen web site were I entered to win a Geocoin, well I won and now I have no clue how to get this coin it shows Own the Trail on the coin and it gives a tracking number, it gives me a link to the Geocach web site to "register" said coin, but when I go to this link and try to do anything with the tracking number it states that I have to add an other number that is on the package that coin came in. Does anyone out there know anything about this coin and can tell me what to do...Thanx

when I go to this link and try to do anything with the tracking number it states that I have to add an other number that is on the package that coin came in. Does anyone out there know anything about this coin and can tell me what to do...Thanx

The coin comes with a little slip of paper, with some info on it which has the "Activation Code" (may be just a single word). Go to the "Activate a Geocoin" page, type the number that's on the coin for the "Tracking Code", and in the next box, type that "Activation Code" from the paper. You should keep both numbers a secret.

It's possible that since you "won" it, there's a special activation process. If you still can't find an "Activation Code", you'll need to contact the company who sent it to you.

And maybe it's already activated. Go here, http://www.geocaching.com/track/geocoin.aspx

and type the tracking code (on the coin). If it's already activated, there are selections that you can make (such as "discover" it).

You don't have to activate a Geocoin if you intend to keep it, or if you might ever sell it or give it to someone else.

Edited by kunarion

What you have there is a pretty unusual promotional gift from Magellan. If I'm not mistaken they are not available to all so quite desireable to the geocoin collector (I'll take it off your hands in exchange for 2 geocoins and I'll include the activation codes so you can register them).

To register or activate the tracking number on this coin you need to go to another website that hosts this particular coin's code. Was there a card with a vendour name on it, a website to go to for the activation code?

Like I said I can send you a couple of geocoins where I've already done that for you and all you have to do is follow the directions as you tried with this lousy Magellan coin with no instructions.... phuey, piece of junk!! :drama:

Is this it?

mag-coin.jpg

Edited by Droo

:drama: Hello, I was looking for a new GPS unit and I went onto the Magellen web site were I entered to win a Geocoin, well I won and now I have no clue how to get this coin it shows Own the Trail on the coin and it gives a tracking number, it gives me a link to the Geocach web site to "register" said coin, but when I go to this link and try to do anything with the tracking number it states that I have to add an other number that is on the package that coin came in. Does anyone out there know anything about this coin and can tell me what to do...Thanx

If you wan´t to sell this coin and you would send it to germany i would love if you can contact me. :)

Thanks for the moment.

Best regards René

I just got a response from someone who also was lucky enough to win this coin and has since activated it. He said there was a card in the coin flip with the activation code/instructions to get it.

For more info on this coin you can ask at the www.tritonforum.com where I found a couple of threads on the Mag coin.

I got mine in Sept. and am now trying to get it activated.

Its one of only 500 that were produced as far as I know.

I needed to trade 2 coins just to get it from the person that won it at an event I hosted. She was going to put it out in the world and I'm sure it would have disappeared in no time.