Is there a way...

Rockin Roddy

When readying to cache yesterday, I wanted to load a new PQ to my PN-40. I had plenty of room for the PQ (500 caches) since I had space for 517 waypoints. However, the child waypoints made it so I couldn't load the PQ. I know, I could simply reduce the PQ number from 500 to maybe 450 or so and not have that problem, but is there a way to NOT include the child waypoints when loading the PQ straight through Cache Register?

When readying to cache yesterday, I wanted to load a new PQ to my PN-40. I had plenty of room for the PQ (500 caches) since I had space for 517 waypoints. However, the child waypoints made it so I couldn't load the PQ. I know, I could simply reduce the PQ number from 500 to maybe 450 or so and not have that problem, but is there a way to NOT include the child waypoints when loading the PQ straight through Cache Register?

Hey Rod! First off let me say it's great to see you back on here and sharing with the community after not seeing your name pop up for a couple days. Secondly I have one solution for you, but I'm pretty sure it's not exactly what you were wanting. The way I weed out the child waypoints is by using GSAK. I did try looking around in Cache Register and if the option is there to not send child waypoints then I can't find it.

I remember in the past you've mentioned that you aren't a user of GSAK. If you ever find yourself wanting to use it to build PQs and you'd like a hand learning how to use it to build PQs for yourself feel free to give me a holler. It's actually called Filters and not PQs in GSAK, but to my non-tech oriented brain it appears to be the same as a PQ. Or if you'd rather I have downloaded a couple of user guides that thankfully come with lots of pictures which since I'm pretty slow as a learner come in handy and I could send them to you as an attachement to an E-Mail.

Or if you're the type like me that maybe would learn a little easier doing it in person then I could take a swing over to your side of the state and show you in person. It wouldn't be any problem for me to swing over there since I'm always looking for an excuse to go on a short road trip. Personally I only use GSAK for creating Filters (PQs) which is from what I've been told only is a tiny fraction of what this awesome piece of software will do so if you ever wanted to use it for other things then I'm not the source of information that you'd want since Filtering the database is all I can do.

Well has usual my post is probably 4 times longer than it needed to be so I'll stop for now. Have a great week! :D

. . . , but is there a way to NOT include the child waypoints when loading the PQ straight through Cache Register?

Maybe I'm missing something . . . . When I run a PQ, I get a zip file with just the caches in one .gpx and all of the child waypoints in a separate .gpx. I just load the main .gpx, which only gives me the caches.

I'm not familiar with Cache Register. Maybe you could extract just the one .gpx and only add that to it?

Edited by New Jersey TJ

. . . , but is there a way to NOT include the child waypoints when loading the PQ straight through Cache Register?

Maybe I'm missing something . . . . When I run a PQ, I get a zip file with just the caches in one .gpx and all of the child waypoints in a separate .gpx. I just load the main .gpx, which only gives me the caches.

Cache Register is a tool used with he PN series from DeLorme. The CR app finds the PQ for me, I don't even have to actually "see" the email come in or mess with unzipping the file...it's there and ready to load. Therefore, I'm not sure I can unzip and try to remove the child waypoints first...will have to test the theory out.

You're not missing anything, you just don't use CR! :D