Photos of Caches

mrs_mental

As long as it's not giving away cache placement it is usually alright. Also I will say that some caches themselves are cammoed quite well and it would be a spoiler or take a photo of the cache if that's the case.

So in short, use your judgment and don't be surprised is a CO asks you to take down a photo.

I've sometimes studied past photo's of logs for clues and occasionally they have helped - nothing spoilerish in the images themselves - but sometimes you'll spot a certain tree or viewing angle and that will be all you need.

I tend to only do this where I already DNF'd. But I don't think there's any harm in it. There is after all a warning of spoilers in the logs and it's similar to people logging about "that tree".

Thats what we want to see :blink:

With the surrounding countryside included in the

background. Thats all we want in the photo really... joke :shocked:

Plus if a cacher is unsure how big a micro or small cache for that cache ,

it is there in full view.

The more hints the better.

How many hints are provided is up to the cache owner, not someone that finds it. Some cache are intentionally difficult to find and posting photos or adding hints to a log spoils the fun of finding a difficult hide for other cachers that like to be challenged.

For some caches, the act of discovering a scenic background may be the goal that the cache owner has in mind. I'd rather that finders discovered it first hand rather than see it in a posted log.

I would have no problem with you posting photos of my cache containers. I have also posted pics of my daughter holding cache containers.

However, having said this, if it was a really unique container or posting a photo of it would really give it away, then I would not post it. An example of this would be the hollowed out log I found recently lying on the floor of the forest between two trees (although I did take 2 pics of it to show my wife and some friends). Posting a pic of this would be a complete giveaway for future finders. I know that is not what I was looking for when I found it!

I would have no problem with you posting photos of my cache containers. I have also posted pics of my daughter holding cache containers.

However, having said this, if it was a really unique container or posting a photo of it would really give it away, then I would not post it. An example of this would be the hollowed out log I found recently lying on the floor of the forest between two trees (although I did take 2 pics of it to show my wife and some friends). Posting a pic of this would be a complete giveaway for future finders. I know that is not what I was looking for when I found it!

I agree.

I have sometimes looked at the photo galleries of caches I've found and winced at some of the spoiler photos. If it were possible, it might be nice for owners of caches to mark such spoiler photos as "viewable after finding" photos. So that only those who've already been to the cache get to see spoiler photos. That way they get to be in the gallery but not available to those who haven't found it yet.

As long as there are no spoilers then most cache owners won't object. As a cache owner the smiling

faces of the finders holding the cache is one of my favorite shots.

Just step away from the hiding place before snapping the photo. Also photos of specially camoflaged containers such as fake sprinklers, pine cones, etc. are likely to not be appreciated by the owner, so

don't post those. But for the most part if you've seen one ammo box or lock n lock, you've seen them all

so no reason not to post the pics. If the owner objects, worst case is he deletes your log and you re log it without the photo. I've never had an owner object yet and there are dozens, if not hundreds of photos of me, my wife or my partners holding the cache in my gallery.