Waypoint Tool

campbell_cache

One of the reviewers suggested I use the Waypoint tool to check for caches around a possible new cache. I have had two rejected this week for being to close. The first I should have know I was too close. The second one I checked the map on geocaching.com for caches nearby and found what looked to be an empty small park. Go out, choose site, hide cache.... reject notice, my new location is within 100 feet of a puzzle or multi. It does not show up on map.

I really do not want to waste the reviewers time with bad caches.... how do you go about checking for 516 feet around your proposed spot?

Can you leave a link for the Waypoint tool

Thanks

Until you find all the Unkown and Multi-caches in the area you're hiding your new cache this will continue to be a problem. And, to make matters worse, you will always have the issue of a cache in the review queue being in the way, since you can't see them unless you're a reviewer.

This discussion comes up about once a month and the general suggestion is to contact your reviewer before you go through the trouble of placing the cache to make sure the area isn't already in use.

BTW, I have no idea what Waypoint Tool they're referring to...and you need 528 feet between caches (.1 mile, a mile is 5280 feet).

Thanks for the info.

I've disabled it again. If you'd like me to check possible coordinates please (a) set the posted coordinates to the test coordinates and leave a reviewer note saying that it's a test or (:D use the waypoint tool to test two or more sets of coordinates.

When I look at the cache creation page and put in new coordinates I just need to tell the reviewer in my note that it is a test. That seems to waste their time. The waypoint tool seems to be the way to go to self check your coordinates... if i could find it :D

Is it common for reviewers to have to keep rechecking coordinates for a cache until it falls into the safe zone?

When I look at the cache creation page and put in new coordinates I just need to tell the reviewer in my note that it is a test. That seems to waste their time. The waypoint tool seems to be the way to go to self check your coordinates... if i could find it...
Curious about this myself as my first hide was also rejected (after much planning, consideration and research on my part) just this weekend because it too was to close to another hide that doesn't show up on the map. Mildly frustrating, I must say. Curious to hear what the proposed solution is. I am not familiar with this "Waypoint Tool"...

TIA

Thanks for the info.

I've disabled it again. If you'd like me to check possible coordinates please (a) set the posted coordinates to the test coordinates and leave a reviewer note saying that it's a test or (:D use the waypoint tool to test two or more sets of coordinates.

When I look at the cache creation page and put in new coordinates I just need to tell the reviewer in my note that it is a test. That seems to waste their time. The waypoint tool seems to be the way to go to self check your coordinates... if i could find it :D

Is it common for reviewers to have to keep rechecking coordinates for a cache until it falls into the safe zone?

Ah, now that you've quoted the reviewer it's making sense. Never heard of that being called a Waypoint Tool before. They're asking you to use Additional Waypoints (which are normally used for Parking, Trailhead, Question To Answer, etc.) to list a few optional places you may be able to move your cache and they can check multiple points all in one pass and let you know which one(s) will work. It's not really a self-check, unless you knew those other coordinate (the Unknown or final stage of the Multi)...in which case you shouldn't be having this issue in the first place.

If your cache is in violation of the 528 foot rule the reviewer will re-check the coordinates every time you submit it for review. Every new publication must confirm to this guideline...only in rare instances is it violated, and only with good reason.

That is my question... the reviewer left this reviewers log post.

I've disabled it again. If you'd like me to check possible coordinates please ( a ) set the posted coordinates to the test coordinates and leave a reviewer note saying that it's a test or ( b ) use the waypoint tool to test two or more sets of coordinates.

So I am trying to find the waypoint tool to test two or more sets of coordinates.

I do not know what or where it is... I was hoping you guys would know.

I've disabled it again. If you'd like me to check possible coordinates please ( a ) set the posted coordinates to the test coordinates and leave a reviewer note saying that it's a test or ( b ) use the waypoint tool to test two or more sets of coordinates.

So I am trying to find the waypoint tool to test two or more sets of coordinates.

When you're editing your cache listing, there's a link near the top [add/edit waypoints]

When you're viewing your cache page, under Navigation there's a link waypoints

Both of those methods will bring you to a page Add a New Waypoint

As I previously stated...the only way this is a self-help tool is if you already know the coordinates for those caches you are too close to. In which case, you could already have avoided the problem by loading those waypoints on your GPS when you went looking for a place to hide your cache.

Otherwise, as I believe this is what the reviewer is intending, this is simply a way for you to offer the reviewer a few optional locations where you could move your cache to.

I think the reviewer mis-spoke a bit here - sounds like they reffered to a tool only the reviewers have access to.

I think the reviewer mis-spoke a bit here - sounds like they reffered to a tool only the reviewers have access to.
No. The reviewer is just suggesting that you can add additional waypoints to the cache page, and those additional waypoints can be other places that you're considering hiding your cache. That way, the reviewer can check all the spots you're considering at once, rather than one at a time.