TB etiquette

bugleann

Question:

My sister recently released a TB. A newbie cacher found it and placed it in a rarely visited cache. In fact, the cache has only been found once in the past year. The TB is in a mileage race for the year. Since it's in a remote cache, is it rude to say something to the new cacher and explain that TB's should be placed in more active caches?

Would it also be rude to ask them to keep an eye on it and if it isn't moved in a month or 2, to possibly get it and move it?

Thanks.

Well, it's not real clear that the bug is in a race or even just a friendly competition. The cacher moved the bug in accordance with it's goal so you might want to update the mission to make it more clear.

The cache itself does look like it gets a visit about once a month which isn't too bad. You could certainly contact the cacher and explain the situation and ask if it sits too long could they move it. You would have to find out if they are close enough to do something like that. You could also ask the owner.

I don't think I would worry too much about the bug. It'll move eventually.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I thought it was visited once a month also, but then noticed that it was actually august of 2008 when it was last found, and that is what concerned us.

The race is just a family TB competition and you are right, we should have put that in our missions. We'll keep an eye on it for awhile and see what happens then. Thank you.

I do agree with the original poster about placing trackables in out of the way caches. I had one placed in a cache at the end of a difficult hike in the San Gabriel mountains that gets visited about three times a year. Fortunately I really don't care much about their wanderings. As a rule I place them in caches that get regular visits.

I do agree with the original poster about placing trackables in out of the way caches. I had one placed in a cache at the end of a difficult hike in the San Gabriel mountains that gets visited about three times a year. Fortunately I really don't care much about their wanderings. As a rule I place them in caches that get regular visits.

My circle of geocaching buddies call those type of caches "coin prisons" - basically any out of the way caches, difficult puzzle caches or hard to find ones. We tend to not put them there or rescue them when we can. One notable exception was a coin that likes to visit puzzle caches. It is still there where I left it 5 weeks ago.

One other question on TB etiquette: On a recent road trip, I picked up a few TBs and when I finally got home, they were listed an other cacher's inventory. Since I can't place them until I have them in my inventory, I grabbed them from the previous holder, dipped them in the cache and regrabed them into my inventory.

The next evening I got a scathing email from the person I grabbed them from calling me rude and inconsiderate. I was taken aback that someone would get all riled up over this when in fact I did the logging work for them. If I placed a TB in a cache and someone got it and logged it before I got to a computer to log it myself, well I'd be thinking - wow they were fast.

Thoughts?

One other question on TB etiquette: On a recent road trip, I picked up a few TBs and when I finally got home, they were listed an other cacher's inventory. Since I can't place them until I have them in my inventory, I grabbed them from the previous holder, dipped them in the cache and regrabed them into my inventory.

The next evening I got a scathing email from the person I grabbed them from calling me rude and inconsiderate. I was taken aback that someone would get all riled up over this when in fact I did the logging work for them. If I placed a TB in a cache and someone got it and logged it before I got to a computer to log it myself, well I'd be thinking - wow they were fast.

Thoughts?

Many people, even ones here in the forum don't like having the bug grabbed from them before they get a chance to do the logging. That's why I recommend waiting a couple few days before doing the Grab. I wouldn't care if you grabbed it from me, but as a courtesy you should wait for other to do the logging.

Thoughts?

Many people, even ones here in the forum don't like having the bug grabbed from them before they get a chance to do the logging. That's why I recommend waiting a couple few days before doing the Grab. I wouldn't care if you grabbed it from me, but as a courtesy you should wait for other to do the logging.

I confess that I am one who finds it annoying when someone grabs a trackable from me before I have a chance to log it into the cache where I left it. In the grand scheme of things it is a minor issue but I still find it annoying.

When I pick up a trackable that has not been logged into the cache I give it a few days. If it still hasn't been logged into the cache I have a look at the profile of the cacher who supposedly has it. If they have been logging caches, especially the one where I found the trackable I drop them a note and ask if they will be logging the trackable into the cache or if they want me to grab it.

On rare occasion the cacher will not show as being active recently. Depending on the time frame I may still drop them a note or I may grab the trackable from them.

In the past I might have reacted the way your correspondent did. These days I am a bit more understanding. I most likely would have contacted you and explained what I believe to be proper caching process but it wouldn't be scathing.

I confess that I am one who finds it annoying when someone grabs a trackable from me before I have a chance to log it into the cache where I left it. In the grand scheme of things it is a minor issue but I still find it annoying.

When I pick up a trackable that has not been logged into the cache I give it a few days. If it still hasn't been logged into the cache I have a look at the profile of the cacher who supposedly has it. If they have been logging caches, especially the one where I found the trackable I drop them a note and ask if they will be logging the trackable into the cache or if they want me to grab it.

On rare occasion the cacher will not show as being active recently. Depending on the time frame I may still drop them a note or I may grab the trackable from them.

In the past I might have reacted the way your correspondent did. These days I am a bit more understanding. I most likely would have contacted you and explained what I believe to be proper caching process but it wouldn't be scathing.

That is good information. Thanks for the insight.

Edited by Kambo117b