pill bottle for GC

Furthermore, and assuming my previous calculations are correct, maximum dimensions for each size would be as follows:

Micro: 1.8" x 1.8" x 1.8" for a total volume of 6.02 cu inches

Small: 3.93" x 3.93" x 3.93" for a total volume of 60.7 cu inches

Regular: 10.68" x 10.68" x 10.68" for a total volume of 1,218 cu inches

Large: Obviously enough anything biggerer than "Regular" puts you in "Large" territory.

1992.gif

Edit to correct punctuation... Thanks to GOF & Bacall.

Edited by Jupiter_Jack

Furthermore, and assuming my previous calculations are correct, maximum dimensions for each size would be as follows:

Micro: 1.8" x 1.8" x 1.8" for a total volume of 6.02 cu inches

Small: 3.93' x 3.93' x 3.93' for a total volume of 60.7 cu inches

Regular: 10.68" x 10.68" x 10.68" for a total volume of 1,218 cu inches

Large: Obviously enough anything biggerer than "Regular" puts you in "Large" territory.

1992.gif

3.93' as in nearly 4 feet? I'd call that a large. :laughing:

In our area, the rule of thumb is that film cannisters and smaller are the 'micro' size . . . 'smalls' begin at a size just larger than a film can. So, if it is or fits into a film can, it is a micro, more than that is a small. Works for us! This, also, makes most pill bottles be considered smalls as they are larger than a film can.

Personally, the 'cost of a container' does not relate to the quality of the hide, the expertise of the camo, the location of the hide or the value of the cache in any terms one might consider . . . a good hide is a good hide, no matter the container cost or if it needs a log that is bagged.

Edited by GRANPA ALEX

In our area, the rule of thumb is that film cannisters and smaller are the 'micro' size . . . 'smalls' begin at a size just larger than a film can. So, if it is or fits into a film can, it is a micro, more than that is a small. Works for us! This, also, makes most pill bottles be considered smalls as they are larger than a film can.

Personally, the 'cost of a container' does not relate to the quality of the hide, the expertise of the camo, the location of the hide or the value of the cache in any terms one might consider . . . a good hide is a good hide, no matter the container cost or if it needs a log that is bagged.

My concerns are not cost related. If the container requires a baggie to keep the log dry it is a poor choice for a container. I don't care if it was free or you spent fifty bucks on it. A baggie should be your second line of defense against a wet log, not the primary.

a good hide is a good hide, no matter if it needs a log that is bagged.

That seems like a contradiction to me. Of course I am more biased than most. If I come across a waxpaper McDonald's cup, in a McDonald's parking lot, with a baggied logbook floating in 2" of rain water, with a poorly written cache page, I would consider that a bad hide, even though it is potentially within the guidelines. Take that same soggy cup and give it a glowing write up, and place it next to a scenic vista, and I would still call it a bad hide. (Remember though, I am biased.) Why would I call either one a bad hide? Because the cache owner intentionally utilized a container utterly incapable of protecting its contents.

Kinda like those folks who use black & grey film cans or prescription bottles in environments with mote than 0.01% annual humidity.

A crappy container, for me, equals a crappy hide.

well the reason I asked about the pill bottle is that when I co on canoeing trips in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, we use old pill bottles as match containers.

also, I did a test and my pill bottles are waterproof enough to hold up to a few minuets under water. I think this will be enough seeing that they wont go underwater and the rain here in Duluth isn't a super soaker most of the time...:D:)B):(:D:):huh: